Fly Tying
jbenwa

NOOB Needs help picking a rotary vise

I own and use the Anvil Atlas. Great vice and holds all hooks very securly. I would suggest doing a search for used vices. You might be able to pick up a good vice for significantly cheaper than msrp.

Good luck in your vice selection.

Any other questions feel free to pm me.

I tied on the PEAK for a few years. I now have a Dyna King Barracuda and an HMH Spartan. The 'cuda is my bench vise, the Spartan is my travel/backup.

The PEAK is a very well made vise, and does a lot of things very, very well. I think the midge jaws are tied with the HMH for "best in class" for tying on very small hooks. The PEAK does trout/bass/panfish and large saltwater very well.

I tied on the PEAK for a few years. I now have a Dyna King Barracuda and an HMH Spartan. The 'cuda is my bench vise, the Spartan is my travel/backup.

The PEAK is a very well made vise, and does a lot of things very, very well. I think the midge jaws are tied with the HMH for "best in class" for tying on very small hooks. The PEAK does trout/bass/panfish and large saltwater very well.

I second the Dyna King Barracuda. Very high quality. I know the price tag is high, but it's cheaper than buying a Renzetti Traveler and then upgrading to DK like I did. I am guilty of buying "middle of the road" products and then upgrading after a few months. I wish I would have waited and bought the DK first.

Hy There Noob,

Somethings you might check with yourself

1. type fly's you are going to ty

2. what your willing to spent on a vice$$$$

3. what type of vice do you want most allround vice is a rotary vice do you want a C-clamp or pedastal vice

4. The looks

5. What do you want to ty in the future meaning expanding tubefly-kit for instance.

I have a danville vice complete to ty anything if you are a starter .Also I have a Regal rotary vice very good to ty a fly in a range from hook nr° 1 to a hook nr°20 Very good vice if you are willing to spent the money!!$$$$$$

Also I have an Anvil Atlas rotary vice since a year good solid vice to a range of hooks nr°32 to a size nr°6 max medium price vice worth's the money. I ty a lot of fly's in a year so I know!

Also Anvil has an Apex vice semi-rotary vice really good vice !!

Also Dyna-king vice are good or HmH-Spartan vice or renzetti vice or don't for get Snowbee Waldron vice

In the end it's up to you what you can pay and what you want! and the Looks!!

Don't Mug about it Ty fly's on it!!!!!!!!!!!

greetz Wes&Jack

Happy fly-tying

As you can see, there are several vices that their owners swear by. Tough to chose, but I love my Peak and would highly recommend it to anyone. smiley-dance001.gif

I have an Anvil Atlas and really like it for the money. I choose it over the Peak because I tie more small flies than anything else. Can't go wrong with the peak though.