Fly Tying
troutguy

Cahills or Green Drakes

<!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->SWAP CLOSED<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Please note: Extra member tie 13 flies. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Two of the best hatches when I lived in NY were the Cahill and the Green Drake. They are just around the corner. Please tie a Cahill or Green Drake pattern. There are many. Each Catskill tier thought they had their own perfect fly to match the hatch. Books are full of these patterns.

I will be tying a Davidson Special. Mahlon Davidson was a Catskill tier who thought the best way to imitate the Cahill hatch was to add a little green to the cream gray fox fur for the body dubbing.

Just tie 12 dry flies classic or modern that imitate either a dun or spinner Cahill or Green Drake. All other standard rules apply.

Australians and Canadians are welcome. I've gotten good at the customs forms. <b>Sacramento Californians named Bob are still iffy. LOL</b>

The flies are due April 21, 2011 that way you will have them by fishing time.

1. Troutguy #14 Davidson Special

2. IBRB Quigley Green Drake Cripple <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

3. Mike 15851 Light CahillNo flies dropped out

4. Utyer Snowshoe Cahill<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

5. Rich5665 Green Drake Wulf was on vacation lost flies

6. Redneck Fly Quill Gordon Cahill No flies dropped out

7. FishingBobNelson TBA<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

8. Voodoo Cahill emerger<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

9. Flon18<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

10. JBurge Tijuana Cahill<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

11. Trout_Patrol<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

12. djgunter <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->rcvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

13. Student4ever<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->recvd<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

If central California is not to IFFY I would like to join with a Quigley Green Drake Cripple.

this is what i have been waiting for! If there is still room i would like to join in on this one.

I'll take the Light Cahill wet

OK, since you called me out, I'm in. These are fly patterns that I don't usually tie so some research will be required. Put me down for the standard TBD :blink: With the postal system in your neck of the woods their arrival is what's IFFY :hyst:

OK, since you called me out, I'm in. These are fly patterns that I don't usually tie so some research will be required. Put me down for the standard TBD :blink: With the postal system in your neck of the woods their arrival is what's IFFY :hyst:

I think you scared him Bob. If the flies you tie for this swap are any where near as nice as what I just received, these guys are gonna be in for a treat.

Voodoo,

You might want to read the swap masters instructions over again. He said to tie a dry fly. You may want to check with him on your pattern.

If everyone signed up to tie a Light Cahill, I guarantee that we would have 12 completely different flies. I have never seen a pattern with so much local variation. Cahills run the gamut from white, cream, light yellow, green and on and on. If you ever want to see a fly fisher cry watch when the Cahill hatch hits and he has the wrong shade.

Dry flies in any form, comparaduns, classic ties, parachutes, spinners, paraloops are all good.

One the best imitations of a Cahill or Drake follows this pattern.

http://www.fish4flies.com/Dry/Winged/Two_Feather_Fly

Thanks.

After looking around for a pattern I am going to try my version of a size 12 Green Drake Spinner (Coffin Fly) B) That's about as iffy as I can get.......... :huh:

Bob thank you for doing a Coffin Fly .

Cahill Emerger....Do do that voodoo that you do so well.....