Fly Tying
edinct

sucker spawn question

I am new to tying, and I did do one successful sucker spawn, but since than I can not finish the tie.

After I make my last loop and tie it down, I trim back the yarn and get ready to whip finish, but when I start to use the whip tool, the thread pulls off the last loop and the yarn comes undone, or the thread keeps slipping off the eye of the hook. Am I too close to the eye of the hook? any tips how to keep the thread from coming undone before I finish it?

You Want to have 2-3 TIGHT wraps on the yarn, Then the same on the shank of the hook. MAKE SURE THEY ARE TIGHT. While keeping the thread tight do your whip finish. Always keep the thread tight through out the tying. Also try to leave a hook eyes space behind the eye so you have enough room to finish. This will help emensly in stopping the thread from popping off.

If you still have a issue with the thread popping off the eye. You can half hitch it so it doesnt pop. You can also wax your thread to stop this from happening.

By TIGHT i mean to the point that your is about to snap. ;)

Yeah i agree with you johny, I always half hitch if im bunched up on the eye. You can either do it by hand or a half hitch tool comes in very handy. If you dont have a tool just use the beveled end on a pen.

One other thing, when you finish the last loop, tie it down, but DON'T cut the remaining yarn. Lay it back out of the way before you start the finish. Properly used, there should never be any slack thread from the tool to the hook eye as you do a whip finish. If you should happen to loose your thread at least, you can re-do the last loop of you leave the end uncut.

On a lot of my spawn, I will cut the front end (after I have finished the head,) and comb out that yarn for a "veiled" egg. Then I pull the loose yarn back and cut it about one length past the back of the egg.

On a lot of my spawn, I will cut the front end (after I have finished the head,) and comb out that yarn for a "veiled" egg. Then I pull the loose yarn back and cut it about one length past the back of the egg.

That is interesting, and i have never seen a sucker spawn finished that way but i like the idea. Would you be able to post a pic? I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about but would like to make sure. Thanks

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help.

I will be working on it this weekend, and will let you know how it goes, and if it looks decent I will try and post a pic.

i know it doesnt have to do with tying it off but when i tie a sucker spawn i try to twist the thread so that the loops are going towards and away from you as your tying it on your vise instead of going from the bend of the hook to the eye like it does whey tying a crystal meth. I hope that makes sense. This way you get a little wider cluster and a more densly tied egg group. Another way to do this is to use 2 strands of yarn instead of one but i find its easier and faster to use one strand and make it look fatter. Hope this helps. If that didnt make sense pm me and ill try to explain it in more detail.

Well thanks for the advice, I truely appreciated it.

Here are two that I tied and I am happy with them and I think they might catch me something.

post-31868-1300202212_thumb.jpgpost-31868-1300202228_thumb.jpg

Nicely done, my only suggestion would be to use a thread that is closer to the egg yarn in color. Raging Bull asked for a picture of my milted spawn, so I will post it here.

post-12074-1300207308_thumb.jpg

That came out better than i thought it would be utyer. Thanks for the tip and posting the pic. And edinct those look pretty good and they will get easier and easier to tie as you get more of them finished.