Fly Tying
bigfoot

HMH Tube Vise Question

I am new to tying tube flies and I am wanting to purchase a vise to get started. I am looking at purchasing an HMH tube spinner. Can the tube spinner handle fresh and saltwater size tubes? Also is the difference between HMH tube spinner and the HMH premium tube vise is that a person can change the jaws on the premium model? Any help would be great. Thanks BF

If you already have a vise, HMH makes several different tube vise attachments. First is the statrer kit which has a pin holder that is held in the vise jaws and comes with two different diameter pins, I have this set and it works fine,next is the premium tube tool, the only difference I see is the pins, and last is the tube vise converter, all you have to do is replace the jaws on your HMH vise if you have one. I have the starter kit and it works well. I've been hinting for the converter kit for Fathers Day, I'm hopeful that I'll have a new toy soon. Check out thee website for more info HMH Vises. There are several size diameter tubes the larger the tube the larger the fly, they come in 5 inch lengths which you can cut to size for the type of fly you are making. A good book to get is "Tube Flies Two, Evolution" by Mark Mandel and Bob Kenly. also check out some of the flies on this site. Hope this helps

Happy tying

Kevin

I'm in no way of stopping you from getting the tube vise... But if you already have a vise just get the HMH Tbe adapter, or the Eumer tube adapter, or a pro needle. Personally I have the HMH adapter and I love it. The kit which is about $25 at Jstockards is great it comes with 2 different size needles 1 needle for fresh water and smaller diameter tubes, and a larger for bigger tubes.

I am noway in stopping you from getting the whole vise if you want, but I just want to give you more options. Sorry if it didn't help.

Thanks for all of the help. I have a kyna-king vise and thought about the adapter but wasn't sure if the adapter would accomodate fresh water and salt water tubes. I am wanting either a vise or an adapter that will be able to handle all of the different size tubes. I am new to tying tube flies so bare with me while I try to grasp how everything works. From what I have read 2 different size needles accomdates everything for fresh and salt water? BF

This is the exact description of the starter tube kit.

"Starter Tube Tool

Works in any vise that holds 2/0 hooks. Tool body precision built of stainless steel with brass fittings. Includes 2 stainless steel pins (.041" and .062" dia.) that fit all HMH tubes."

So as long as you buy the HMH tubes you should be fine.

Call HMH Directly. They will answer your questions. I have the tube adapter that replaces the Jaws on my spartan and it is SWEET!! But HMH will be happy to answer your questions. I do not sell the spinner vise or the tube jaw. But I can get the spartan, standard and the normal adapter that clamps in your jaws. See site below. You cant go wrong with HMH!!

Check my site out below.