Fly Tying
RustyB

Glue for attaching eyes

For doll eyes and such I typically like "goop" although I know many folks use CA glue too, mainly because it stays a bit flexible. Goops biggest draw back is it takes a long time to dry.

For stick on type eyes, and eyes going into the end of bar-bells and such, I'd typically use Zap or Epoxy, or one of the UV type epoxies as I typically coat the head of said flies with the same anyway.....

Bob V

Here's a second vote for "Fletch Tite" the stuff works very well, keeping eyes on flies as you bang them back into oyster bars or mangrove shorelines. I might have been designed for glueing feathers on arrows but that applicator allows you to put the perfect sized dot of glue when you're gluing up plastc eyes onto almost any surface.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

gorilla super glue

Good Day,

I second this suggestion. They have infused a "rubber" material into the glue which I believe helps to keep it both from being too brittle and helps with being water proof or shall I say resistant. I really like it on "wool head" (or Senyo Laser dub, Custom blend or other synthetics...) as it not only holds the eyes in place but helps to hold the shape/form of the head the way I like it.

Recessed eyes... I usually just place a healthy drop of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails over the eye once in place on the cone. So far so good...

Steelie

One thing I forgot to add in my post about Fletch-Tite for gluing eyes in place is that a clothespin or small "Quick-Grip " (I use the ones by Irwin for hobbyists, they're small bar and spring clamps with vinyl cushions over the jaws) greatly increases the glue's holding power. In use I do one eye at a time, clamp it in place for about five minutes, then remove the clamp, glue on the other eye, and clamp again for another five minutes. In use I can do a dozen very quickly on one side, then do the eyes on the other side and complete that portion of a run in as little time as possible. The best part is that the eyes might actually outlast the rest of the fly (if you avoid those fragile holographic eyes...). In the last few years I've gone back to solid plastic eyes which are much more durable than the holographic stuff I had been using (see below). Hope this helps

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-1301583853_thumb.jpg

post-30940-1301583865_thumb.jpg