Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
navigator37

Anyone experienced this?

Hi all. Just curious if any of you have experienced bluefish like this

before. I found this video amazing to say the least.

I can't even imagine what it would be like there with a saltwater

flyrod setup and the right flies.

Awesome video. Watch right through.

I've seen blitzing Bluefish & Stripers crashing schools of baitfish many times, but not right against the beach like that! That would be a sight! :bugeyes:

Hey, get those kids out of the water before they lose a few toes! :scared:

Hi all. Just curious if any of you have experienced bluefish like this

before. I found this video amazing to say the least.

I can't even imagine what it would be like there with a saltwater

flyrod setup and the right flies.

Awesome video. Watch right through.

Never seen anything like that but would most likely poo all over myself if I ever did. Awesome vid man thanks for posting it.

Steve

I've seen some huge schools of blues busting all along the beach in West Palm Beach but they were not right up against the shore like that. I was about 12 and wading in waste deep water catching blues on every cast. Of course I now realize that was a stupid thing to do, but it was one of the coolest fishing experiences from my childhood. I finally quit fishing after about two hours and my last bucktail didn't have anymore hair on it.

I have had that happen many times. Some blitzes lasted a few minutes and others lasting for up to 2-3 hours . This always happens in the fall when you find giant schools of peanut bunker running along the beach. At times you will get either large schools of bluefish or striped bass feeding on them.

I envy you guys for opportunities like that.

I have my big northern pike and so on in Saskatchewan

which is just different than that.

I just had to ask if anyone had been there...done that.

That video is like dreams I have had.

navigator37, don't feel too bad! Here's another video I found of Bluefish blitzing bait.

The bridge that crosses the Chesapeake Bay is not far from my home. I've crossed it many times and seen this type of action. The annoying thing about it, I'm usually working and can't take advantage of it! Of course, if I wasn't working, by the time I went home, got the boat, drove to the ramp, launched, parked & then got out there, the chances this would still be going on are slim! :wallbash:

*sigh* reminds me of fishing in aus. Never quite seen them pushing the bait up onto the shore tho! Usually a bit off shore, you will find the birds working the surface and you will find some crazy action, longtail tuna's are another. But never have i seen bluefish this close to shore lol! I do know they will keep feeding even after they are full often just regurgitating what they had just ate to fill up again, must be some killer instinct. Anyway when that is happening you can find some interesting species cleaning up the scraps just under the school and a few larger predators trying to knock off a bluefish. I wanna go fishing!

wouldn't mind at least a 12wt here

I've seen the blues push bait up onto the beach and the jetties in Destin Florida like this. We'd catch blues one after the other for sometimes an hour. We'd take turns filleting the fish and dropping the fillets in a bucket and tossing the backbones and ribs back into the pass, while the other guys caught the fish and tossed them in a bucket...two guys fishing and one guy filleting, then switch. In the Choctawhatchee Bay I have had dolphins push mullet right up onto the hill while I was castnetting with my buddy. You stand there , net in mouth and over shoulder, waiting for the school to get close enough to make a cast. All of a sudden the fish rush ya and ya get one cast, then ya look back at the beach (causeway in this case) and there are so many mullet on the ground cars are stopping to pick them up. You hear the tourist screaming "Save the poor fish , throw them back!" The locals are saying "screw you , throw them in my trunk!" The dolphins would just cruise up to us wading out there and kinda roll up and look at us like they were saying, "Your Welcome", and then they'd be off down the causeway to chase more mullet. It sure filled our limit quickly but it shortened our fishing (castnet) day as the limit was 50 fish per vehicle...

I've seen it many times... I'll start to bring my camera to the beach and see if I can get some shots for you if I see it again.