Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
andypandy

Simplicity!!!

Sometimes i think the more simple flies are the most successful and flies nowadays can really be just too complicated. I am guilty of this alot of the time also.

These flies are just seriously simple and will catch fish just as well as flies that have taken twice as long to tie and have twice the amount of materials.

Golden Olive Dry
Olivef-fly.jpg
Hook - #16 Grub
Body - Squirrel Dubbing Golden Olive
Wing - CDC
Thread - Olive Uni 8/0

Amber Dry
Amberf-fly.jpg
Hook - #16 Grub
Body - Squirrel Dubbing Amber
Wing - CDC
Thread - Olive Uni 8/0

Blue Dunn Dry
Dunnf-fly.jpg
Hook - #16 Grub
Body - Squirrel Dubbing Blue Dunn
Wing - CDC
Thread - Olive Uni 8/0

Thanks for viewing

Andy

Andy, Nice tying and I agree with you. Simple is best when it comes to fish catching flies. The complicated and realistic are great for catching fishermen. Many of today's flies are going to far to the realistic side. Not to say that anythings wrong with that, but they just dont have the in the water life that impressionistic flies have. They are fun to look at though. ^_^

Andy, Nice tying and I agree with you. Simple is best when it comes to fish catching flies. The complicated and realistic are great for catching fishermen. Many of today's flies are going to far to the realistic side. Not to say that anythings wrong with that, but they just dont have the in the water life that impressionistic flies have. They are fun to look at though. ^_^

Yeah i agree. I cant tie the realistic patterns but if i am honest i dont want to as i know fine well they wont catch fish compared to one tied with simpler materials.. But i have to give respect to the people who create them as they are works of art.. :)

Andy

Those are all nicely tied, and no doubt effective patterns. Like you said, simple works. My motto on fishing flies: If it takes longer to tie than it takes to loose it, I ain't fishing with it. That said, I still like to stretch myself and tie fancier flies, artistic flies, and yes more realistic flies. I don't often fish with them, but they do look nice on my hat band.

those are some really nice flies. I have to agree simple is just as good, if not better, then your more complex patterns.

I just can't see, for the type of fishing I do, to spend a allot of time on a really "pretty" fly that's going to mangled anyhow after a few fish hit it. I really tend to stick with the natural materials in my flies ... as much as possible.

Mike