Fly Tying
rich5665

1918 Dazzler Bass Fly

I'm trying to tie a bass pattern that was refreshed in an back in 1918

post-19761-1301715977_thumb.jpg

There really isn't much to go on. The original was made from "Christmas Spangles" (Red and Green Cellophane). While looking into the pattern further on another forum. I came across this photo:

post-19761-1301716206_thumb.jpg

The images of the Black Dazzler and the Scarlet Dazzler really don't help much. But I attempted a best guess. I purchased some Ice Dub and tied up a Hybrid of sorts from both images. This was a quick tie so is not pretty. I need to do better on the body. My dubbing hook get slipping the loop. Any way here is my first attempt:

post-19761-1301716438_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts as to improving the fly would be appreciated. Remember this is just a prototype fly.

in the link i'm providing and where you most likely got the 2 fotos, it does mention cactus chenille as some part of th body. you prototype doesnt have any. i would incorporate some silver cactus chenille or estaz somewhere in the body

http://thebasspond.com/topic/2475

i also dont see any resemblance between the fly in the top foto and the 2 flies in the middle foto

Hi rich5665,

The top ad picture is pretty crappy, but it looks like the wing on it is like swiss straw to me. You could use a combination of marabou and fur for the tail, or just marabou if your fishing mostly ponds or lakes. The body suggestions that you got are really good. Any way you look at it, your way ahead of the game now, since they didn't even start to develop most of the synthetic material that we just take for granted these days.

Regards,

Mark

It looks like you've got hair for the wing and tail in your fly, but the two in the pictures have hackle (looks quite webby, like hen) for the wing and tail. The hackle will give you much better movement in the water. With the metallic body, this fly was all about being over the top, and I think movement would follow the same theory. Hence the hackle fibers rather than a stiffer hair wing and tail.

There's my input.

Deeky

Looking at the picture I would probably tie it using the following materials.

Tail: Marabou

Body: Crystal Chenille

Wing: It kind of look slike Rafia, but I would use a hen hackle tip as recommended above.

Head: Larger Crystal Chenille or maybe even estaz.

I had bass flies from my Grandfather. I'm 56 so they were old. Some of the bugs has tinsel mixed in with the deer hair. Get your hands on a George Leonard Herter book titled Professional Fly Tying, Spinning and Tackle Making and he has similar in there.

I personally like the Devil Bug works great for stripers and bass.

I personally like the Devil Bug works great for stripers and bass.

Comr tie it in the Pre 61 swap :D

Rich christmas spangles were fine metallic tinsel either like the more modern stuff in thin strips or used as a garland. If that helps.

Ithink you need to add to the shiny factor.

flytire great blow up of the pic.

Second attempt:

Hook: #8 Mustad 3906B

Tail: Black Marabou

Body: Silver Garland

Wing: Large Black Hackle

Head: Black Cactus Chenille

post-19761-1302395370_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Second attempt:

Hook: #8 Mustad 3906B

Tail: Black Marabou

Body: Silver Garland

Wing: Large Black Hackle

Head: Black Cactus Chenille

post-19761-1302395370_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Perhaps a hook with a longer shank and a bushier head would be

closer to the original.

Perhaps a hook with a longer shank and a bushier head would be

closer to the original.

I think the Garland makes the hook look small. I may try another material for the body. I was think Gold Estaz for the Body and Silver for the head. The hook I used was a 2X. After looking at the Wobbler maybe a 5X would be the way to go. Definitely a challenge trying to figure out what materials to use when you only have Gold an Silver Christmas Spangle as a clue.