Fly Tying
eastern fly

0wt -4wt

I want to get a new rod and Im' not sure what weight would be better over the other. I have 2- 4wt rods and was thinking about a 2 or 3wt. Can someone tell me the benefit one is over the other? It has to be a 4 piece so I can pack it in with me, and 'I'm using 5 to 7x tippet.

Kevin

I'd say if you already have 2 4-wts, go with a 2-wt because there isn't THAT much difference in going down one line weight. It's not an exact science anyhow, no matter what the numbers painted on the rod say. I've got a 3-wt A-5 which I like very much, 7-1/2 feet.

I want to get a new rod and Im' not sure what weight would be better over the other. I have 2- 4wt rods and was thinking about a 2 or 3wt. Can someone tell me the benefit one is over the other? It has to be a 4 piece so I can pack it in with me, and 'I'm using 5 to 7x tippet.

Kevin

Well what are you planning of fishing with that 2 or 3 wt? That can make a diff.

A 3 wt. would give you a little more power for casting in windy conditions or when using small streamers. A 2 wt. would present a small dry, like a 28-32 trico, more delicately. Both will be soft enough for 6 and 7x tippets.

Some of the streames here are no more than 10 yds wide with 12in. brook trout in them. SoI'im looking for them and still fish the larger rivers with flies rainging from 16-20

I'd say if you already have some 4's then go with the 2wt (for the reason JS mentioned). It's hard to find a 2wt that will fish larger rivers well as it does a small 10yrd wide stream, but if you look for a 2wt that has a tad more tip action than some of the ones out there then the extra crispness will help you to get a bit more distance out of it on the larger rivers. Just don;t go "too fast" though if your looking for a shorter 2wt. Because nothing is more frustrating than having to use a super fast casting stroke on a real short rod.

Steve

Now you have me wanting one. I was playing with a little St. Croix 2wt (6') yesterday...I think it may have to come home with me today. Should be loads of fun with the big gills this spring. It's going to be quite and adjustment knocking 3' off my usual rod, though.

And it's in the car...

St. Croix I602-2, little Galvan reel and the smallest fly line I've ever seen. The winds are calm, the sun is shining, and I'm stuck at work for the rest of the day...

I have a 2wt as well as a 3wt. I love both. I use my 2wt for the small mountain streams I fish for the brookies. Works like a dream. If this is the kind of fishing you are thinking about, certainly go with the 2wt.