Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kingfisher

Preferred Brand of Hooks

For freshwater fly fishing, which is your preferred brand of hooks?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a mustad hook break at the bend in a Brown Trouts mouth.I raised four our five more fish that day before I relized what had happened.It ticked me off.I still have that busted fly.I have had hooks break in the vice,and other flies that have had the same problem,(Mustad).I still use them because I cant throw them away.I tied up the same fly that I broke in that browns mouthon a TMC hooked and landed that fish.It was 23 inches long and 14 inches at its girth.I have never looked back.

If you keep fishing and raised for or five more fish with the fly, How can you be sure the rest of the hook was left in the trout’s mouth?

I have caught many 10 to 15 pound steelheads with Mustad standard hooks and the only time I can remember having trouble with a hooks braking is pulling free from snags

A good rule of thumb when fishing with any fly no-mater what hook it is tied on.

“Inspect it often” along with the tippet and leader (especially after a snag or a fish)

OSD.

Mustad! Mustad! Mustad!

....err, and an occasional Dai Rikki or Daiichi, and a TMC 2457 every now and then. unsure.gif

Price is a large part of why I choose Mustads over the other, but I'd have to say that I believe strongly in the quality of Mustads as well, and its my confidence in them that also makes me buy... I've had too many of the harder. more expensive heat tempered hooks break in the vise or against rocks on errant backcasts to make me feel any better about shelling out the extra dough... dry.gif

Most of my mustads are a little softer a little more pliable than the other brands, and I've grown to like that. cool.gif

Just me own humble opinion though... mileage may vary biggrin.gif

Nate H.

Mustad standard, have never had one break and never had one fail as long as I tied it on correctly or didn't hook a tree LOL.

Fatman

I'm with OSD on Mustad. The quality is great, and I have only ever broken one in a vice. Mustad Signature also is used quite a bit on my bench because of the curves of some. The C49s and the C53s are great. For salmon hooks, the Tiemco 7999 is a good standard hook to use.

hi guys,i use kamazan mainly, they are reliable reasonably priced and readily available,tiemco and mustad are expensive over here and some of the other makes we can't get

I voted OTHER.

Mainly because I don't tend to use the same hooks all the time. It's primarily an issue of availability. I used to use Mustad almost exclusively but lately they seem harder for me to find so I buy Orvis, Tiemco, or whatever I can find to fit a requirement.

I try to buy good hooks well formed with sharp points that are well tempered steel. Those three brands seem to serve well for me.

I tie mostly on Mustad or their Signature hooks. However I've been looking at the Allen Fly co. hooks. I haven't bought any yet but I am thinking about it. Anybody have any experience with the Allen hooks?