Fly Tying
SteveGibson

Florida Everglades 2011

I hadn't been back to The Everglades since prior to the 2010 freeze. That cold killed most of the exotics.

However, I heard fishing was hot down there, so I made the drive Wednesday morning. It's a little over 2 hours south of me.

Didn't see another boat all day.

I fly fished, using mainly a 3-weight and my Myakka Minnow. Conservatively, I estimate I caught and released 250 fish, including largemouth bass, bluegill, stumpknocker, shellcrcker, warmouth perch, gar and one Mayan cichlid.

I litterally left the fish hitting. I rarely went two casts without at least a hit.

Didn't notice the bubble-eye bass until after I uploaded the photos.

20110518_6902_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6904_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6906_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6908_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6913_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6921_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6932_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6927_edited-1.jpg

20110518_6912_edited-1.jpg

Looks like a great time! You might want to try an 8 weight if you decide to go after those gators..... :lol:

hahaha gators on the fly. Hey that bass with the bubble eye is weird, i wonder what caused that? Fishing looks like fun there, quite a mixed bag! Great photo's and thanks for report :)

Fantastic pics Steve. Takes me back, I haven't fished down there in years. Used to fish the L-28 as a kid, awesome bass fishing there and tons of oscars, just wished I fly fished back then.

Here is a link to a SBS for Steve's myakka minnow.

I'm gonna have to tie up and try out a couple of those flies. I'll bet the crappie in my neck of the woods would go nuts after them! I may have to try them on some white bass too! B)

Great report. For anyone that just has to try that "gator on fly" thing.... All you have to do is use a popping bug and land it right on a small gator's nose. When they're small (small enough to actually handle without losing any fingers...) they eat lots and lots of dragonflies. Any bug that lands on their nose is snapped at instinctively. Larger specimens will actually follow a noisy popper and try to take it but you don't want to get involved with any of the bigger ones (and you particularly don't want to draw one over to where you're standing....). Although I'm primarily a salty type in the winter there's places where you can launch in the salt and run all the way back into freshwater where there are both freshwater species as well the usual salty types mixed in together.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

I bet that gator gave you quite a tussle on that 3wt. hehehe......I envy you being there in FL. If wifey wasn't afraid of hurricanes I would be down there too.

Thanks for sharing some really sweet pictures. Not many gators here in the Great Basin, so always a treat to see one "up close & personal". :rolleyes: