Fly Tying

Damsel in Distress Version 2

Extended Hook: Mustad 9671 #10

Olive grizzly marabou and 6 Olive seed beads.

Thread: Uni Mono 4m

Tail: Grizzly Olive Marabou

Beads: 8 Small Olive glass beads

Connecting: 30lb Clear mono

Main Hook: Mustad 9672 #8

Thread: Uni clear and Lt. Olive 6/0

Tail: Olive Grizzly Marabou

Body: Olive Grizzly Marabou

Eyes: Oval lead free dumb bells

Wing: Olive Grizzle Marabou wrapped around head and splayed towards the back

rsz_cimg3305.jpg

I would first cut off the hook point past the barb. The beads have a hard time getting over the barb and the bend. I then string on 8 olive beads.

rsz_cimg3281.jpg

Carefully to not lose any put the hook in the vise and make a large thread damn to hold the beads in.

rsz_cimg3282.jpg

Tie in a single grizzly olive marabou for the tail. Make it the length of the shank. At this point put a little bit of super glue at that tie in point.

rsz_cimg3283.jpg

Move your thread past the first two beads. Do this by just taking your thread under the two and making a few wraps. You don't need to go between each bead because you did the thread damn. In the water the thread pretty much turns clear.

rsz_cimg3286.jpg

Pull the marabou back over the top of the beads and make a couple wraps. Again go to the next 2 beads and make a few wraps. Same as before take the marabou and pull it over the top and make a few thread wraps. Now skip 3 beads and make a few wraps leaving one bead in the front. Pull marabou and make wraps. Cut excess and whip finish. Add cement or superglue at the whip finish.

rsz_cimg3287.jpg

rsz_cimg3289.jpg

With my trusty pliers I cut the rest of the bend off. I leave about 1/10 of an inch. Don't cut right to the end of the thread wraps.

rsz_cimg3290.jpg

Put the main hook in the vise. With the 30lb clear mono thread it through the hook eye and measure leaving about an 8th of the shank. Start your clear thread and tie the mono in VERY well. From here I put 2 layers of super glue. I use the clear thread because it is thin.

rsz_cimg3293.jpg

Make sure to keep the mono on top of the hook shank.

rsz_cimg3294.jpg

Start your light olive 6/0 thread and tie in your eye and again put some super glue at this point.

rsz_cimg3298.jpg

Tie in 2 marabou feathers with the tips just long enough to cover the eye.

rsz_cimg3299.jpg

Wrap both feather to the back of the eye. You might get a lot of long feathers sticking out. You can keep these or pull some out which is what I do. Tie off the feather behind the eye.

rsz_cimg3301.jpg

Tie in another marabou feather to the length of the tail on the main hook. This is the tricky part. Take the tip and wrap it away from you, under the eye of the hook, and back through the middle of the top of the dumb bell eye. From there tie off, add head cement and you are done.

rsz_cimg3302.jpg

rsz_cimg3305.jpg

Hope you guys have as much tying this one as I did designing it. I really liked doing this step by step so I plan on doing some more. Thanks for looking. HAPPY TYING!!

Thanks Dustin, it looks awesome, I bet it's got tons of movement also. The bass, and gills will love this!

I plan on hitting lake mead with them next weekend so we will see

This one will be for the great damsel hatch here at Lake Davis. Thanks for the great ideas.

Dustin that is a great job of tying and photographing. Again ,well done.

Fred

Another great pattern, and well done step by step.