Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowfin47

Swiss straw or raffia substitte?

Do ya' have a suggestion for a synthetic (i.e. tougher/longer lasting) substitute for Swiss straw or raffia? I don't like Swiss straw.

I want to tie up some of Michael Verduin's Mighty Hellgrammites, as shown in the Winter 2011 issue of The Gulf Streamer, the newsletter of the Gulf Coast Council of the Federation of Fly Fisher, http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/index.php?page=communications .

I've used strips of plastic trash bags for shell backs, but otherwise I can't help you with a specific material. You might try looking at various types of ribbon. Ribbon is made in all kinds of sizes, textures & materials & is usually fairly cheap. Perhaps you'll see something that will work for you. I also don't use raffia or swiss straw, but have found some different ribbons that have been useful for tying. Crafts, fabric or sewing stores usually will carry some types of ribbon. Card shops might also have ribbons.

I tie a Hellgie pattern, but I wrap the body with vinyl strips, similar to Swannandaze.

100_4109.jpg

Cascade Crest Tools: Cascade has a synthetic Swiss Straw. It is at the bottom of Page 10 on the copy of their PDF Catalog I have on my computer.

I suspect it is what I picked up in a swap. It looks almost exactly like the real thing and is much stronger.

From the looks of the pattern, seems to me that Thin Skin would work just fine, and it is a heck of a lot more durable than Swiss Straw. That being said, bluegill576's suggestion of doubling the material would be the first substitute I would try as well. YMMV.

Cascade Crest Tools: Cascade has a synthetic Swiss Straw. It is at the bottom of Page 10 on the copy of their PDF Catalog I have on my computer.

I suspect it is what I picked up in a swap. It looks almost exactly like the real thing and is much stronger.

Ron. Could ya' bring it to the RSFF meeting next week, so that I can check it out?

Tidewater... I too have tried black plastic bags, but I didn't like 'em.

Whatfly.... I think I'll give thin skin a try. I actually think that I'v got some in the file cabinet.

Thanks everyone,

Bowfin47

Ron. Could ya' bring it to the RSFF meeting next week, so that I can check it out?

Tidewater... I too have tried black plastic bags, but I didn't like 'em.

Whatfly.... I think I'll give thin skin a try. I actually think that I'v got some in the file cabinet.

Thanks everyone,

Bowfin47

Remind me. I just stashed it in the briefcase I keep the monthly membership raffle items in.

Rainy's "Stretch Flex". It is worth trying to find it. Very similar to scud-back, but much wider. It makes great wing cases, shells, segments, all that.