Fly Tying
TheCream

Articulated topwater SBS

I've had some requests for a SBS on the articulated topwater I have been using for bass recently. I modified the original pattern by another angler, then further modified it by articulating the hook/tail to allow it to "snake" over heavy weed cover without hanging as much in the vegetation as a fixed hook with mono weed guard. I've trimmed down the original set of photos from last night to make this a shorter post, so hopefully you can see what you need to see. For thread, I recommend something heavy like GSP or heavy uni thread to cinch down the foam. I use 3/0 uni on this one so I can torque down on the foam and hold it in place.

Tail:

-hook: 2/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hook

-weed guard: 50lb mono

-tail: rubber skirt material/centipede legs

-over wrap: ice chenille

Tie in weed guard and add a clump of rubber skirt material for the tail:

DSC_0515.jpg

Tie in ice chenille, wrap forward, and tie off. Feed weed guard through hook eye and tie it in place. Whip finish and cement, tail is done:

DSC_0519.jpg

Body:

-hook: anything long enough you can willingly cut in half, I used a 1/0 Eagle Claw aberdeen bait hook

-junction: 30lb PowerPro braid (or you could use wire or whatever you want)

-body: 2 pieces of adhesive-backed Glitter Foam (bought at WalMart)

-wrap: ice chenille

-eyes: 5/16" dome eyes

-legs: rubber skirt material/centipede legs

Thread tail onto braid/wire, secure to rear of main hook, feed braid/wire through hook eye and double it back, securing heavily with thread and cement:

DSC_0522.jpg

Cut piece of foam roughly 5/8" wide by 3.5" long. Peel adhesive backing and secure to shank, adhesive side AWAY from the hook. Cut another piece of foam roughly 5/8" wide by 2.5" long, peel backing, and press onto piece of foam tied in. HINT: for two-tone patterns, the shorter piece of foam will be the visible piece on top of the fly!

DSC_0532-1.jpg

Tie in ice chenille body wrap towards rear of the hook, wrap forward and tie off:

DSC_0538.jpg

Fold foam forward and tie off TIGHTLY, at this stage it looks like a Gartside Gurgler with an excessively long head. Whip finish, cut thread, and cement heavily:

DSC_0542.jpg

Reattach thread roughly 5/16" behind previous tying point, fold foam back towards rear of the hook, secure tightly with thread, and trim excess foam to slightly less than overall body length. The formed "bullet head" has nice spots on each side to glue on the dome eyes:

DSC_0552.jpg

Tie in set of 3 rubber legs to each side behind the eyes, carefully whip finish or add some half hitches without binding the legs, cut thread and cement the thread HEAVILY!

DSC_0558.jpg

Last step, remove from the vise, and trim the front hook with a set of side cutters where the hook bend begins. This leaves the tail/hook at the lone hook on the pattern:

IMGP2556.jpg

View from beneath:

IMGP2558.jpg

This fly is extremely weedless, and produces a sort of "waking" action on the water. It doesn't really pop, it doesn't really slide, it just pushes a lot of water. Strikes on this style pattern, in my experience, are nothing short of vicious. And if you seal the thread well with cement, it is extremely durable.