Fly Tying
fishfish

first mayfly in 20 years!

Nice tie. Good lookin' fly. I have a question, I have some look alike hooks and would be interested in tying something similar. Does the weight of the hook flip the fly, in other words, will the fly ride the water like it sits in your picture?

Murray

looks like a "Mustad 37160 Bronze English Bait & Caddis Fly Hook" vs an "emerger" hook but if it works for you, go with it

looks a little heavy to float on the surface

I think flytire has got it right. It is a great looking fly, but I don't think there is enough material in the tail to float the hook. The bend of the hook would put the abdomen of the fly below the surface film anyway. It would probably still fish well as an emerger since the body would sit below the surface and the hackle would ride in the film. Kind of like a Klinkhamer. Still very well tied!

Maybe if it was tyed on a finer hook, maybe a Gamakatsu C13-U or a C15-BV and a bit more heavily hackled it would float. Defiitley like the concept and will take this to my tying room for some freak-styling.