Fly Tying

Renzetti traveler. It's a rotary vise, easy to assemble/disasemble, and most all renzettis use a lever to lock the jaws, not a screw type locking mechanism. I'd recommend the clamp base. The heavy base tends to want to tip if tying flies where you have to put alot of pressure on the thread.

A danvise is a good starter vise also, for about $66 on ebay, and they are up all the time. It is also a rotary vise.

You will hear a lot of different ideas. The right one is: It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, only you. Its absolutely, 100% preference. I know you want a starting point, here it is; Got to a tying show, or a fly shop and test out the different vises. Pick out the one you like best for the price you like best and Bam! You got yourself a vise!

Fly Fish Ohio Vise Reviews

Start out by reading the reviews here. So far, the vises mentioned, are fine, but you should do a little review of the various models and price points out there before making a decision. Then if at all possible, find a dealer that will let you try some different vices. If that dealer offers classes sign up.

I agree 100% about trying them out for your self. It also depends on what you will be tying. I started out with a cheap kit with the vise included. That vise was horrible. Once I knew I would stick with tying I saved the money and bought a Dyna-King Barracuda. I really love my barracuda. Some hate them. They are on the large side but I am usally tying larger flies for smallmouth and such.

thompson model a vise.

Thompson1.gif

if you dont like fly tying then your not out a bunch of bucks

All very good comments. I agree with the comment about not sinking big bucks into your first vise - If you are absolutely new to tying, get a lower cost vise and see if you really like the hobby. Then you can step up, and you will have a better idea of what you want in a vise at that time. But remember, the real purpose of any vise is to hold a hook securely so you can tie animal parts on it.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes about vises. Ask a question like "What's the best vise?" and you will get a LOT of answers, most of them different. It's a personal preference thing, just like a lot of things. I started many years ago with a simple vise, then moved up the ladder to more bells and whistles. The last time I bought a new vise, it was a Regal Medallion. Got tired of the "bells and whistles" and wanted to simplify. Of course, that is probably a direct function of my age. But the Regal does what it is designed to do, and does it very well. I'd be willing to bet this is the last vise I own. Again, this is personal preference, and someone else might throw a bucket of cold water on it. For the size flies that I tie (no smaller than #18 these days), and my tying style, this vise is great.

My .02 cents

Find a nice cheap fly tying kit and make sure a vise is included........you can probably find a sweet deal on ebay

I second the Danvise though.......I purchased mine back in college when I started to tie flies (my cheapO first vise was a pain in the keester and I knew right away that if I was going to enjoy fly tying---this cheap vise needed to be placed into the garbage) The Danvise cost me 85 dollars and at the time it was the only rotary vise that you could find under 100 dollars.....that was back in 1997 or 1998.......That vise had tied a gazillion or so flies and is still kicking butt....although as of late--- a hook or two has slipped while tying........so a new vise is on the horizon--another Danvise

(don't need a new vise, just a new jaw---but I want a new vise)

it is made of graphite or composite materials......which I like

but as everyone has stated......it is your choice....go check out a few vises and get a feel for each......

the Danvise is great for a beginner and will certainly allow you to grow as a fly tyer.......

I'm going to go with Flytire on the Thompson A or AA. Cheap, bulletproof, and does all it's advertised to do. It will make an excellent travel vise for you if you ever choose to upgrade, too.

I am with 2b on tis one. I got my Danvise about 6 months ago. I just added the arm extension for 20 bucks. It really makes for a better vise. I tie a lot of bigger saltwater stuff so it makes things easier. Great deal for under a hundred bucks in my book!

I started on a cheap Herters Thompson A copy which was a piece of crapola. I got some small visegrips and welded them onto a rod that fit the 'C' clamp base of the crappy vise and used it for a long time. A few years ago I bought a Danvise. It works well for most of my tying except for when I turn it upside down to tie on the bottom of the hook. The longer jaws would probably help that problem but I am too frugle to buy them. (read that as cheap)...

I used a thompson A for my first 12 years of tying. It is now my travel vise and still works after 20 years. Not a bad investment for me. I think I paid like 49 dollars for it.

I also started off with the vise from a fly tying kit. It was like a Thompson model A. It did the trick. I went on to look and try other vises but didn't want to spend $100+ on a Regal Vise (that was the one that I oogled at). So I went with the next best thing and haven't looked back...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Tying-Vise-Rotating-Spring-Action-New-/110689906620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c5a1efbc#ht_861wt_907

The reverse engineered "Knock-off Brand" of the Regal. It's a sweet little honey for what it does. And you can't beat the price, which would make it a great first vice. You may not even have to get a second vise!!!

My .02 cents

Find a nice cheap fly tying kit and make sure a vise is included........you can probably find a sweet deal on ebay

I second the Danvise though.......I purchased mine back in college when I started to tie flies (my cheapO first vise was a pain in the keester and I knew right away that if I was going to enjoy fly tying---this cheap vise needed to be placed into the garbage) The Danvise cost me 85 dollars and at the time it was the only rotary vise that you could find under 100 dollars.....that was back in 1997 or 1998.......That vise had tied a gazillion or so flies and is still kicking butt....although as of late--- a hook or two has slipped while tying........so a new vise is on the horizon--another Danvise

(don't need a new vise, just a new jaw---but I want a new vise)

it is made of graphite or composite materials......which I like

but as everyone has stated......it is your choice....go check out a few vises and get a feel for each......

the Danvise is great for a beginner and will certainly allow you to grow as a fly tyer.......

Don't get a new vise. Get hold of Al Beatty"; Google "Al & Gretchen Beatty". He's the North Americal Distributor for Danvise and will replace the jaws for $20.00