Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

weird bug

Last year in about late June to the middle of July,I saw a bug,insect flying around the river that I fish.I asked other fisherman if they have seen it.One guy told me he has fished the river for thirty years and has never saw anything like it.He told me that he was bait fishing his favorite spot and saw a huge brown surface and devour the bug.I went to the Department of Natural Resources on another matter,and disscused this bug,they told me to capture one and they would identify it.I went back to the river but could not find any.I will tie a fly later to show what I saw.This is what it looked like.It was about the size of a Canadian Dollar/Loonie.It was more oval shaped,flat and tan on the bottom.Dark brown on the top and oval shaped when looked at from the front or back.It had two wings that were the length of its body.It was a poor flyer.It had three small legs on each side of the head area,and two small black eyes.The one I picked up and had a good look at did not like it,as it shook and trembled as I held and examined it.I threw it into a shallo,calm part of the river.It continued to tremble for a second then crawled onto some vegation.It opened and closed its wings for a second or two,crawled up the grass growing on the bank and flew away.The were all over the place and the Trout were devouring them.Does any one have any idea what it was? dunno.gif

No the bug I saw was like some sort of beetle.Flat on the botom,semi-circular when veiwed from the front,about the size of a Canadian Dollar,but more oval shape.It was only about an 1/8 of an inch thick or less.I will send a drawing here soon.

hehe I bet I know what your talking about

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/kids/c-october.html

the giant water bug...real inventive name

they get pretty big at times, we used to get the smallies throwing em up in the live well when I fished tournaments down yarmouth way.

they bite pretty hard too says the internet.

-T

QUOTE (Tim Smith @ Nov 17 2004, 07:10 PM)
hehe I bet I know what your talking about
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/kids/c-october.html
the giant water bug...real inventive name
they get pretty big at times, we used to get the smallies throwing em up in the live well when I fished tournaments down yarmouth way.
they bite pretty hard too says the internet.
-T

headbang.gif You got it budy, you also saved me some greif because I was trying to draw that thing about an hour ago.I am a lousy at drawing,with a broken hand,Im even worse.

Thanks, this has been bothering me for a long time.Where were you fishing in Yarmouth?

I lived there for a few years,on the Crosby Road,Woodstock.There was a lake on that road that flowed into a pond,at the side of the road.

The pond flowed under a small bridge, into a small brook,to another lake.I think the name of the lake,was Killam Lake, they were my favourite Trout fishing spots.

I saw a huge fish surfacing in the pond for about a week,thinking it was a Trout,I was excited,and had to catch it.

On the first cast,with a red white and blue,Wolf type fly,I set the hook and landed a huge Bass.I was mad, I cut the head off, gutted the fish right there, and went home with my supper.

When I got home I put the hog on a food scale it weighed 6 and 3/4 pounds.My cats and I ate well that night.The reason I was mad was,I new that Bass was eating all the Trout.I never caught a Trout out of that water system again and dont know anyone that has.

This was at least 15 years ago.I fished there four years ago and caught a Bass on every cast.

Damn we lived pretty close then, I lived out on the Beaver River road. I grew up there so i've fished pretty well every water hole around that area.

Pretty well every lake there is full of bass now, Killiams being one. Cedar lake has quite a population too now and they are down the river system almost to the ocean.

Don't worry too much about the bass hurting the trout population there. the water pH and all the clear cutting around there is doing more damage then the bass. up towards salmon river there is tedfords lake that is loaded with bass and the trout population there is still as good as I remember it being if you hit the back creeks by canoe. its kinda fun to be able to catch 14 inch brook trout and 18 inch bass within a dozen casts of each other.

-T