Fly Tying
NJ All Day

Need some assistance.

Hi all, I'm getting a new pike/ hybrid/ bass rod. I'm going to be getting a 8 weight rod but thinking about putting a 9 weight line on it, for my reel choice i'm going with a Lamson Konic.

With that in mind, should I get the Konic 3.5 that's rated for a 7-8 weight line, or should I bump it up to the 4.0 that's rated for a 9-10 line?

Sorry if this is an obvious question.

It's going to come down to room for backing. The 9# line is bigger - it'll take up more space on the reel than a 7# or 8# will - so you may not get 200 yards of backing on the smaller reel if you go with the bigger line. Personally, I'd use the Konic 4.

It's going to come down to room for backing. The 9# line is bigger - it'll take up more space on the reel than a 7# or 8# will - so you may not get 200 yards of backing on the smaller reel if you go with the bigger line. Personally, I'd use the Konic 4.

If you ever actually need 200 yards of backing for pike or bass, something's not right.