Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigbear54

STRIKE INDICATORS

HAVE BEEN MAKING SOME NEW STRIKE INDICATORS UOT OF FLOURESCENT YELLOW LINE BACKER [dacron],SEEMS LIKE THEY SHOULD WORK WELL AND LAST FOR A WHILE. My QUESTION IS WHERE TO PUT THEM? i FOUND THE IDEA IN THE MUSTAD WEB SITE ,BUT NO MENTION OF WHERE TO PUT THEM. they ARE ABOUT 16" LONG WITH A LOOP ON EACH END.i 'M GUESSING BETWEEN THE TIPET AND THE LEADERS LAST SECTION? they SHOULD CAST WELL AND WILL ROL UP WITH THE REST OF THE LINE.I MADE ONE CHANGE IN THE WAY THEIR RECIPE WAS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WHIP FINISH THE ENDS, EASIER FOR ME .I'LL LIST THE STEPS IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED. THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!!!!

I'm interested... Can you please list the steps? B)

Also, does anybody know how to make foam indicators with the surgical tubing that your line slips into and is held in place? What type of hard foam do they use for them? Any idea where I can get it from?

Also, does anybody know how to make foam indicators with the surgical tubing that your line slips into and is held in place? What type of hard foam do they use for them? Any idea where I can get it from?

i was wondering the same thing, i lose so many, i think i might look around the insulation section at my work for the insulation hard foam. if anyone has any clues i would love to know because not only do none of the stores close to me stock them, the ones that do sell them for way to much for what they are and over the net can get really $$$$$.

druce.

I made some a few years back using craft foam glued together then turned on a dremmel to the shape and size I wanted then ran a piece of stir stick from Mcdonalds through it

HAVE BEEN MAKING SOME NEW STRIKE INDICATORS UOT OF FLOURESCENT YELLOW LINE BACKER [dacron],SEEMS LIKE THEY SHOULD WORK WELL AND LAST FOR A WHILE. My QUESTION IS WHERE TO PUT THEM? i FOUND THE IDEA IN THE MUSTAD WEB SITE ,BUT NO MENTION OF WHERE TO PUT THEM. they ARE ABOUT 16" LONG WITH A LOOP ON EACH END.i 'M GUESSING BETWEEN THE TIPET AND THE LEADERS LAST SECTION? they SHOULD CAST WELL AND WILL ROL UP WITH THE REST OF THE LINE.I MADE ONE CHANGE IN THE WAY THEIR RECIPE WAS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WHIP FINISH THE ENDS, EASIER FOR ME .I'LL LIST THE STEPS IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED. THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!!!!

1- cut 18" pcs. of fluorescent dacron line backer

2- take a bodkin and push into line center at 2" in from end of line towards end

3 insert a piece of fine wire [about 4" folded in half and pinch folded end tight with pliers]and let it come back out after it has pushed through 1/2 ".

4-now take end of line and thread it into wire loop,about 3/4 " then pull back through dacron and out leaving a loop . It's handy to put a pencil in the loop end to keep it from pulling through to far also I ues a pair of needle nose pliers rolled around the wire to add in pulling it through.

5- trim excess and super glue section that is doubled back to secure.[can whip ends before gluing,I didn't]

MATERIALS AND TOOLS LIST- dacron, light wire,bodkin, needle nose pliers, super glue,colored marker if using white dacro [ to color line ]

I believe the strike indicator described on the Mustad website attaches between your flyline and butt end of your leader. :)

I just use craft foam cut into small strips run them thru a rubber o-ring and tie it all together with some heavy thread. i'll get a pic up as soon as i find them. lol

Do a Google search for "dacron backing sighters". these are used for euronymphing mostly for the French and Spanish long line style of direct line nymphing. Trout Predator is the best site for information. The first is a Utube video showing the best method of making them and the next two are some discussions. After making the sighter, barber pole stripe the sighter for increased contrast. Two tone sighters are also possible with optic yellow and optic orange, both striped with black marker.

http://www.troutpredator.com/community/thread1902.html

http://www.troutpredator.com/community/thread1902.html