Fly Tying

I am going to jump in here because I agree with all that is said. I have never dropped out of a swap and can understand those that do but there are a few who just disappear from site never to be heard from again. The Ant Swap a few months ago turned into a real disaster when the swapmeister flon18 disappeared with everyones flies. No email, no posts, nothing! I emailed him multiple times, the moderators emailed him multiple times and he hasn't been on the forum since. He got away with about 175 flies in the swap. The swap started bad when he wasn't updating anyone. His last log in to the forum was after the flies were due, after people asked him about our flies. His name is Justin Nolf from CT and he should definately be banned fromt he swap and the forum!

I agree once again with all that is being stated. The ant swap however, went completely unmonitored by admins. Flon18 was not supposed to be allowed to host a swap. The swap went unnoticed to admins. :huh: . No excuse to why this happened? No apology for the mishap. Who moderates the moderators??

As for Justin Nolf of NC, I liked the idea of mail fraud charges being filed. Ill sign a statement or whatever. :mellow:

As for Justin Nolf of CT, I liked the idea of mail fraud charges being filed. Ill sign a statement or whatever. :mellow:

B) For those who want to file a mail charge against this guy. Here is the info he gave us for the Swap.. Someone posted a link before to a form that one can submit. And since he took postal money and maybe over $200.00 worth of flies from everyone. I'm sure it's internet mail fraud/Scam 100%...

This is the guys info he provided to us..

Justin S Nolf

Date of Birth:

1/15/1983

164 Pokorny Rd

Higganum, CT 06441-4417

860-554-5246

And I think this is the form link below .. Or you could even stop into your local post office and inform your postmaster about what happened.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/mailfraudcomplaint.aspx

Justin of NC.....I was ready to offer my repo services....but then I see it was changed to CT.

its a shame that someone can get on a board and in a short amount of time get to the point of hosting some kind of swap trade or what ever and just walk away with it all. it happens everywhere, from a hometown group to the internet. the ones that PLAN on doing it, are flat out criminals...sure its just a few dollars and time....but I also reload so I can offer them another quarter!

Having been one of those who has dropped out of Swaps i know that there are very legitimate reasons as to why people do so..I dropped 2 Swaps in a row and seeing that i have had 3 Heart Operations in the past year think i have a very good explain as to why i did..The first one was due to going in the hospital unexpectedly for a Valve replacement and ended up being in for longer then was expected..The second time was to fix a by-pass that was leaking.. if they aren't good reasons i don't know what more you expect from a person..Both times i had NOT planned on going into the Hospital..Any one who has had Open Heart knows that you don't just come home and the next day begin tying flies or using the Computer the next day!! I feel really bad about not being able to fulfill my commitment and will think very hard about trying another swap in the future..With that being said i TOTALLY understand there are reason's why people can not or do not fulfill their commitments..

Johny Utah,

Is that a joke? Your calling me out because a swap host slipped through the cracks? You have any idea what I deal with on a daily basis to keep this site up and running? You realize that I do all of this to offer everyone a free place for everyone to enjoy?

Nobody hates swaps gone bad more than me but I have done and will always do the best that I can to make sure these swaps go as smoothly as possible.

Smalliehunter-Steeldrifter-OSD-CapeBsalar

I for one want to thank you for the work that you do, and having the joy of being a moderator of several smaller groups over the past 12 years I know what it takes.

one thing I see happening here is confusing termanology...."DROP OUT" is causing some poeple to become offended because they have dropped out of a swap. AKA something happened, in my case my son became ill and was looking at testing and surgery at a medical center 5 hours away, they contacted the SM and let them know, the slot was opened up and another swapper got the chance to fill in. thats fine and should not be a problem at all.In my case the 2 swaps I "Dropped" had others drop, notified the SM, and I was able to step in and tie anyway.

with that said I want to make the motion that the term "DEADBEAT SWAPPER" be used....

Darrin

I am going to jump in here because I agree with all that is said. I have never dropped out of a swap and can understand those that do but there are a few who just disappear from site never to be heard from again. The Ant Swap a few months ago turned into a real disaster when the swapmeister flon18 disappeared with everyones flies. No email, no posts, nothing! I emailed him multiple times, the moderators emailed him multiple times and he hasn't been on the forum since. He got away with about 175 flies in the swap. The swap started bad when he wasn't updating anyone. His last log in to the forum was after the flies were due, after people asked him about our flies. His name is Justin Nolf from CT and he should definately be banned fromt he swap and the forum!

I agree once again with all that is being stated. The ant swap however, went completely unmonitored by admins. Flon18 was not supposed to be allowed to host a swap. The swap went unnoticed to admins. :huh: . No excuse to why this happened? No apology for the mishap. Who moderates the moderators??

As for Justin Nolf of NC, I liked the idea of mail fraud charges being filed. Ill sign a statement or whatever. :mellow:

Its real easy to blame someone else when something goes bad, but you gotta ask what did you do to enable it , did you check to see if the person hosting the swap completed their swaps and was able to host, did you look at the number of posts he made and see how active they were, did you look to see how long he was a member of the forum. did you question the sm to see if did everything he was supposed to. or did you simply type " im in "

yea, its real easy to blame the mods for not doin their jobs, when you didnt even do yours.

and before you say it, i have done all those things, in the past, about swaps i was thinkin of joining and because of my questioning, the swaps sometiomes didnt happen.

Let me start this by saying that I do not blame the moderators of this site for flon18 and the disaster with the Ant Swap. The moderators of this site are the best. Will does so much work and provides a free service to all who visit here. Frankly, everyone on this site owes Will a debt of thanks.

As far as flon18 goes, he is the issue here not the moderators. I have lost flies going to Canada. That is a risk. I have lost flies in the mail in the US. That is a risk. There is no guarantee that anyone approved to be a swapmeister wouldn't take the flies and run. The bottom line is that Justin Nolf ripped everyone off. HE is responsible.

Will, I take my hat off to you and the other moderators for providing this site. It provides valuable information, comraderie, and the opportunity to get aquainted with people from all over the world!

Thanks

Rob

I have to agree with rs, I really appreciate the fact that this forum is here and would love to become more active, but I have only been a member since April and I understand that I need to participate for a longer period of time in order to become a mod or any type of admin. If there is a way for me to become more involved in say getting a list of those that have dropped without contact from the mods and put together a list, I would be more than happy to do that, making it kind of a list that has the person, number of times that they have dropped out without contact and keep a ledger of those that have ben banned, I would happily volunteer for that. In my initial inquiry, I just wanted to know if there was a list out there to look at and be aware of those that have a habit of non-compliance with swaps so we might be able to avoid any further problems with the swaps. I understand that the internet is a very anonymous place and it is easy to hide in such places, but with a little bit of effort, we might make it easier for swapper to stay more commited and avoid any mishaps along the way, just MHO.

Blane

Its real easy to blame someone else when something goes bad, but you gotta ask what did you do to enable it , did you check to see if the person hosting the swap completed their swaps and was able to host, did you look at the number of posts he made and see how active they were, did you look to see how long he was a member of the forum. did you question the sm to see if did everything he was supposed to. or did you simply type " im in "

yea, its real easy to blame the mods for not doin their jobs, when you didnt even do yours.

and before you say it, i have done all those things, in the past, about swaps i was thinkin of joining and because of my questioning, the swaps sometiomes didnt happen.

Wow your hypocrisy knows no bounds eh? I wasn't blaming anyone. But you sure are. :lol: I was just pointing out how a ball was dropped. Its not a swappers responsibility to moderate the swap master. That role is left to the admins. As swappers we trust in the admins to moderate the SM and swaps. I'm Not saying Will doesn't do a great job, because he does. I run 3 businesses, I know things can slip through the cracks. I just don't understand, how the swap went unnoticed, for so long that is all. Just as people wonder how a person cant tie 1 dozen flies in a months time.

A faithful swapper

Tight Ties

Johnny Utah

Maybe they need some more mods.. Just saying.

I remember questioning Flon18 by PM and he told me he had his swaps. I knew he didn't and I was gonna do something about it. But I don't have the delete tool that the mods and Admins have....

I remember questioning Flon18 and he told me he had his swaps. I knew he didn't and I was gonna do something about it. But I don't have the delete tool that the mods and Admins have....

Actually this is incorrect. Based on his posting history he participated in 11 swaps and he has only been a member here since late December. There was nothing indicating he was a problem swapper and he sent his flies in for all 11 in a timely manner as far as I know. The only thing he did not do was contact me with his contact information prior to hosting his first swap. In fact he hosted two swaps, the Panfish swap that he hosted went smooth and there was no problems reported to me.

Mr Utah believes that we "dropped the ball" on this one but if you can't trust a guy that participated in 11 swaps over the course of a few months than I just don't know what more I can do.

I remember questioning Flon18 and he told me he had his swaps. I knew he didn't and I was gonna do something about it. But I don't have the delete tool that the mods and Admins have....

Actually this is incorrect. Based on his posting history he participated in 11 swaps and he has only been a member here since late December. There was nothing indicating he was a problem swapper and he sent his flies in for all 11 in a timely manner as far as I know. The only thing he did not do was contact me with his contact information prior to hosting his first swap. In fact he hosted two swaps, the Panfish swap that he hosted went smooth and there was no problems reported to me.

Mr Utah believes that we "dropped the ball" on this one but if you can't trust a guy that participated in 11 swaps over the course of a few months than I just don't know what more I can do.

I think it was his intent to just host and run and he was padding his stats by participating in the swaps an d hosting a prior swap for the rep boost. To be honest it sounds like he was planning it and it wasn't just a spur of the moment thing.

But I wasn't a member before the botched swap so all I have to go on is the word of others. It just sounds like he had a reason to make himself trust worthy in a short time before others really got to know him.

My only gripe is also not what the mods didn't do then, It's what are the mods doing now to seek justice for the ones who got robbed on this site? With big name sponsors on this site, One would only think it's a safe place and the mods are talking with the authorities on our behalf? Since they should have his email & IP# and his home address and with that info the authorities could track him down very quickly, By also doing this it would show FTF isn't into having it's members robbed in any way in the future. Then again, Maybe Admin is doing this and we don't know about it? But I would like to hear that they are working on this issue in the near future. B)

Thanks for letting me RAnT!!! B)

NJFlyMan.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that he had been in so many. I'm surprised that it turned out this way..