Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Laxi

Brown trout action

Hi guys, fishing is still going strong.

18jlBMF2.jpg

18jlFyrstifoss2.jpg

24jlMerkidalsbreia.jpg

And there is nothing more beautiful than spending a beautiful summer night by the river.

27jl4.jpg

My friend spent the weekend with me and of course I took him fishing. With me being such a great guide he of course hooked a beautiful brown trout that was tagged and then released!

30jl4.jpg

And you can just give out the prize for the most beautiful fish of the summer, there is no way you will ever see a more beautiful fish than this arctic char!

31jl8.jpg

outstanding!... i'm jealous.

what type of water temps do your rivers typically run this time of yr?

WOW to be able to fish a river for the next fifty years and learn the fish by name and features would be great. I am wondering why you fish with barbed flys. It would be easier to C&R the fish for future C&R with barbless flys. Less damage to the fish and therefore they are less fly shy the next time?

Only a question, not a judgement - well OK a little bit of a judgement but I can and will get over it!

I wish our Browns here in SWAB were as plentiful and beautiful as yours.

IMGP0013a.jpg

WOW to be able to fish a river for the next fifty years and learn the fish by name and features would be great. I am wondering why you fish with barbed flys. It would be easier to C&R the fish for future C&R with barbless flys. Less damage to the fish and therefore they are less fly shy the next time?

I take the barbs on big hooks but on the small flies I just leave the barbs on.

But after writing my post earlier today I went fishing and I got some big ones!

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

what type of water temps do your rivers typically run this time of yr?

Sorry for the late response. It basically depends on the weather and water levels, if it's a hot summer it can go upp to 10-15°C, but this summer it was problably just below 10°C.

But Summer is now over and I'm back in school so this will be my last report. August was a really good fishing month and this brown trout was the best of the rest!

14gstBugur.jpg

It came splashing to the surface to take a streamer and it was a great fight, I had to follow it up the rapids and at one point I was afraid I had snagged the line in rock but it was just the fish staying still were the current was most powerful! The pool is a really beautiful one, it has probably never ever been fished before I came!

Bugur16gst2.jpg

And finally here is a video of my summer that I made for my family. You may not understand it but the pictures speak for them selfs! And if you dont want to look at the whole video(it's pretty long) the fishing part is 5:40 - 12:45, but I think you will enjoy it!

EPIC SUMMER VIDEO!

(the video quality may not be 100%, I had to decrease it to be able to upload it to the internet)

Thanks for me and I hope you had just as great summer!

WOW! What a beautiful place. You are extremely lucky to be able to live and fish there. Those browns look amazing. What size rod/line are you using? Congrats on a wonderful place and make sure you protect it.

Laxi, great post and pics. In my part of the world we call trout that size "Hawgs." You have a very interesting way of displaying your flies. :D :D Thanks for sharing.

WOW! What a beautiful place. You are extremely lucky to be able to live and fish there. Those browns look amazing. What size rod/line are you using? Congrats on a wonderful place and make sure you protect it.

I'm using a rod for line 5/6 but I desperately want a rod for line 3, would be awesome catching those browns on a lightweight rod.

But I promised you guys an update on how the tagging would go and in total I got 6 recaptures(I tagged 44 brownies og all shapes and sizes in total).

There are two types of brownies in the river! One type just stays in the river it's entire life, but the other runs up the river each summer from a lake the river flows into.

"Days from tagging"-------"Distance from tagging place"----------"Notes"

---------16--------------------------------------------0

---------35--------------------------------------------0

---------50--------------------------------------------0 ---------------- Killed by bait fisherman

---------14------------------------------------------3,8 km --------------- Fish from the lake

---------10--------------------------------------------0

----------5------------------------------------------3,6 km --------------- Fish from the lake

The two fish that were recaptured far from the tagging place have had to jump up this waterfall(note, very much water in this picture, way more then normal water levels):

16ma.jpg

And the one who was caught again 5 days later was only 33 cm(13")! These fish are incredible!

None of the fish had changed in length but some had gotten fatter and had more spawning colours.

I will continue to tag fish over the next few years and I should get some interesting results :)

And if anyone missed it here is a video of my summer, the fishing part is 5:40 - 12:45. Hope you enjoy!

SUMMER VIDEO

Thanks for the nice response!

Great Thread!

Really nice to see that you had recaptures, catch & release is paying off :)