Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Fishing Russia

Taimen flies

Here I want to show some of the flies which I am using to catch the greatest salmonid fish - Siberian taimen. The fish at the image was landed a year ago, in the Tugur River (Russian far East). At that time taimen was 54" long, weight 63 pounds. Now it should be about 3" longer and much heavier..

post-34261-0-82699900-1309768363_thumb.jpg

All types of Egg Sucking Leeches and Egg Sucking Wooly Buggers on 1/0 - 4/0 hooks are good taimen flies. The most useful color is black.

Articulated flies (string flies) are the ones I use most often. This is an imitation of a spawning minnow.

This grayling imitation is also tied on a "base" of String Leech and a hook in a tail.

An imitation of a sculpin - String Sculpin.

post-34261-0-90263100-1309768826_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-65130600-1309768984_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-56089700-1309769084_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-03782700-1309769169_thumb.jpg

Articulated Intruder or Squid is tied on a string; it has long feelers made out of an ostrich feather.

Another Squid tied on a plastic tube. The fly is weighted with lead eyes.

"Classic" mouse imitation could be used day & night - on some periods the taimen is surface oriented.

Drowning Mouse - a dry waking fly tied on a special articulated base with a hook on a steel cable.

post-34261-0-61123200-1309769874_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-87977900-1309769889_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-87378500-1309769900_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-62754900-1309769915_thumb.jpg

Different types of "artificial base" for taimen flies. Top - a base with a hook on a steel cable for the dry mouse imitation (Drowning Mouse). The lower 3 strings with a lead & a hook are used for different wet artificial flies (see above).

post-34261-0-36613700-1309771506_thumb.jpg

That fish is a monster. What is it called?

I really like your flies.

Its a Taimen.

Those are some nice fish!!! And some big flies It looks like you could glue a chicken to a hook and still catch fish.

That fish is a monster. What is it called?

I really like your flies.

Its a Taimen.

Those are some nice fish!!! And some big flies It looks like you could glue a chicken to a hook and still catch fish.

well, you'd really need to tie the chicken to the hook or it just wouldn't be considered fly TYING. More like BIRD GLUING... who knows though, it could be the next fad to sweep the country!!

aside from that, HOLY CRAP that's a big fish!! Great flies too. I'm 99% sure I'm never going to get the opportunity to chase them, so please keep posting pics and stories.

:blink: Holy Crap that thing is huge i have seen these on i think a show similar to river monsters and they fly fished for them. But they didn't catch a toad like that one. And yes please keep posting pics of the taimen and your flies awesome job and awesome fish. How long of a fight did it put up.

:blink: Holy Crap that thing is huge i have seen these on i think a show similar to river monsters and they fly fished for them. But they didn't catch a toad like that one. And yes please keep posting pics of the taimen and your flies awesome job and awesome fish. How long of a fight did it put up.

Taimen is not very strong fish; each of its pounds will not fight as well as a pound of a trout. Still, it can be BIG. The one at the 1st image of this branch is my personal record. It took me about 15 minutes to land it with 10wt 15' 2-handed rod and 25 p test tippet. That river in some places has LOTS of snags, so I was really lucky to be able to bring the fish to the bank. The 1 st attachment - the Tugur River. Much bigger taimen were recently landed by my friends, gear fishermen. The one attached was over 40 kg (80+ pounds).

post-34261-0-94020100-1309898146_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-91639200-1309898170_thumb.jpg

I'm going for Taimen fishing trip to south part of Siberia. Have toe tie some flies and it's a headache foe me... Don't really know where to start :(

the show i saw the guys were using rabbit strip flies 3"s wide x 15"s long think squirrel sized

also 1oz jigs tied into very long flies for deep pools

i think they were using 12wt rods

Fly Fishing Russia: Can you say a bit more about the construction of these flies. What sort of wire are you using and how do you join the trailing hook to the eye of the fly. I'm particularly interested in how you make a connection strong enough to fight a 80# fish. Thanks.