Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutdogg

C&F Reference Vise Feedback

Guy's, I have the opportunity to pick up a NIB C&F Reference Vise for a decent price. The machining of this unit looks to be impecable and we all know that C&F products are very well made and engineered.

Hook range for this puppy is #32 thru 3/0 and the vise has some really cool features and accesories such as listed below. I am looking for input such as likes and dislikes from tiers who have actually used this model. Like - Jaws work well, very good hold on all hook size range .......... Any info to be shared would be much appreciated!

Currently I have a Renzetti Master Vise, Mark Petitjean's Swiss Vise and might consider selling either one should I get the C&F model.

C&F Reference Vise Features & Accesories

Parachute Post Tool: Tool for tying parachute hackles and extended bodies.

Magnetic Dust Bin: No explanation needed here!

Site Plane Plate: Gray on one side green on the other....

Link Arm: Adjusts jaw height without affecting the hook plane.

Rotary Function: Jaw rotates to any angle without changing the hook plane.

Magnetic Jaw: A powerful magnet inside the jaw holds the hook in place before the jaw is closed, allowing for a precise adjustment of the hook position.

Temporary Hanger: A clever Micro Slit Foam collar to store flies

Material Clip: To keep fly tying materials out of the way

Bobbin Hanger: Holds the tying thread and bobbin out of the way.

post-25160-0-52890600-1310336159_thumb.jpg

post-25160-0-37294600-1310336736_thumb.jpg

OK, I decided to make the investment and all i can say is this - BEST VICE I HAVE EVER USED! No other vise compares.......

I'm glad you like that vise. I've always been curious about the C&F tying tools, but have never seen them "in the flesh". Based on their fishing accessories I've used, I have no doubt that the vise would be first rate. My local shops are no longer stocking vises in the price range over about $250, so there was no chance of getting to mess with one of the C&F's. What do you like best about the vise? What design choice did they make that's superior to the other vises you've used?

The feel and quality of the C&F vise is by far superior to any vise that I have used to date. I have used or tried almost every vise made at some time or another. As stated earlier I have the Swiss Vise and the Renzetti Master; each one has its plus and minus but with the C&F I can confidently tie a hook range of #32 to 3/0. This is due to a well engineered jaw design that seems to be bullet proof. in addition, the rotarty function on the C&F feels like a piece of precision equipment because of the quality of the bearings used and as far as I'm aware the C&F vise is the only vise to use bearing for this feature.

The physical dimensions along with the vises layout make it a very user friendly platform to tie on. For some reason the C&F vise was never pushed hard in the US. While traveling abroad I have visited many fly tying get togethers and the C&F seems to be the vise of choice. Now I know why!

Happy tying!

Update - Still plan on keeping my Swiss Vise. Have to say that I still prefer this vise for #22 and smaller due to the geometry of the jaws.......