Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoeLePaul

Fly materials? (Hairwing,FFF)

Hi folks,

I just saw a picture in the FFF and would like to tie this design as well. For that purpose, however, I need to know what the body is made from. Anyone can help me out - maybe even the original tier?

Hairwing%252520Emerger.jpg

Thanks a lot,

Joe

Joe,

I tied that fly. The body is a turkey biot (gray). You can use any color.

Hook: 200R size 14 - 20

Tail: partridge

Body: turkey biot

Hackle: grizzly

Wing and head: Deer/elk hair

I trim the bottom of the hackle flat so it rides lower in the water.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

now I just have to find a supplier for turkey biots. Can I use any turkey feather such as these:

http://www.baker-flyfishing.com/shop/images/big/gefaerbte_turkey_federn_1_jpg.jpg ?

Or are biot feathers from a special body region? There is no way to translate the word "biot" into german ;)

Thanks

Joe

Rob, I've been admiring that fly since yesterday and really love the use of biots in both dries and nymphs, wonderful ties there my friend.

Steve

Joe,

A turkey or goose biot is the leading edge of the wing feathers of a turkey or goose. The wing feathers are wide on one edge and narrow on the other. It is hard to explain but the narrow side has thicker wider barbs which are called biots. They are about an inch long and you tie them in at the tip.

Here is a sample video of how to tie them.

I coat my body with Sally Hansen's hard as nails prior to wrapping the biot. The biot is made more durable because it is glued to the hook.

Rob

Steve,

Thanks for the compliment. I tie them in black, gray, brown, tan, olive, white, yellow, pmd, and even bright red.

Great all around fly when mayflies are in the air.

Rob

Rob, I've been admiring that fly since yesterday and really love the use of biots in both dries and nymphs, wonderful ties there my friend.

Steve

Steve, J. Stockard, one of the sponsors of this site sells them. They sell the primary wing feathers or just the biot stems themselves.

Here is the links to both.

Full Feather The photo show 2 feathers of each color/matching sets. You use the narrow side of the feather.

just the biot

Hope that helps.

Rob

Darn nice looking pattern, rstout!

I can't tell how the wing is tied. Is it upright and fanned, like a comparadun, or a post (and if so, single or double)? I took it for a caddis pattern when I first looked at it, but I guess with a fanned wing, it would be a pretty good mayfly pattern.

Thanks. Once the hackle was tied in, I tied in the wing like an elk hair caddis. I left a head on the fly by cutting the hair a little long. The hackle makes the wing stand up a little higher like a mayfly instead of flat like a caddis.

Rob