Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Full Sink Lines

I have a Rio 250gr type 6 sink tip on my 7wt. I have been looking around for a type 3 full sink. Possably the Rio Mainstream. Can anyone recommend a type 3? I fish mostly pocket water but not all the time. My rod has a fast tip. Thanks for any help.

Kevin

I would get the Rio Mainstream as you mentioned or the Deep 3, which will be my next full sink line. There are a lot of other options out there, but I'm a Rio guy myself. I have been hearing good things about the Gallup Streamer Express sink tip with the 50 foot head on it.

There's a few sink tips out there that i would recommend. The type 3 dc sink tip by rio or the dc full sink type 3 by rio. Also if you don't want to buy a new fly line, you could try using the rio versi leader with the sinking butt section, usually no more than 15 bucks!

I would buy whatever you can find for cheap on sale. In my experience, full sinking lines always get beat up pretty quickly anywhere there are rocks, snags, sharp stuff, whatever. They cast quite differently than a good floating line, and I have used them quite a bit in salt and fresh water. Any full sinking line from any of the major brands will do OK.

a full sink might not be the best option... they can be hard to work with

i'd look at sink a tip...Rio/SA/ Cortland makes the Quick Decent lines with 30ft sink with int running line... since you are looking for a lot of sink

most line companies make sink tips (leaders) 12'-15'... rio versileaders are worth looking into

I wouldn't recommend a long Tungsten tip (t-10, t-14) Since this will be too many grains for your line/rod

i'd look at sink a tip...Rio/SA/ Cortland makes the Quick Decent lines with 30ft sink with int running line... since you are looking for a lot of sink

most line companies make sink tips (leaders) 12'-15'... rio versileaders are worth looking into

I wouldn't recommend a long Tungsten tip (t-10, t-14) Since this will be too many grains for your line/rod

The line I have now sinks to fast so I was thinking about a class 3. I have been looking at another sink tip just lighter. How much difference in feal and casting is there between the 250gr I have and a 200.

Kevin

courtland makes a line called fairplay. this will be my next sinking line. its only 21.99. sinks at 3.5-4 inches per sec. i have the rio precision now... it sinks 1.25-2 inches per sec. kinda regret getting it though, it was around 70 bucks and like JSzymczyk said its already beat up after 2 seasons.

The line I have now sinks to fast so I was thinking about a class 3. I have been looking at another sink tip just lighter. How much difference in feal and casting is there between the 250gr I have and a 200.

Kevin

Try cutting back your sink tip you have now to about 175 grains. will still cast and lot less than say a T-10 or T-14 type of tip..