Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Liquid foam dyes

Dye question

Some closed-cell foams that cannot be colored with traditional dyes can be re-colored with permanent marking pens. But it's a pain.

Most such marking pens consist of a tubular plastic barrel filled with a fibrous wick that has been soaked in a colored, solvent-or-alcohol like liquid.

If you could buy bottles of that liquid it would (in many cases) be a lot more convenient to dip an entire foam chunk into a bottle of that same liquid. Those colors must be available. Marking pen manufacturers use them. What are they? Where can I get them?

Bass Pro has some bottled liquid dyes for coloring plastic baits; but I have no idea relative to whether or not they will work on foam. The labels don't say. A little pricey to try on a few pieces of foam to find out!

perchjerker

The liquid dye in the markers is made with an alcohol base, so these are "spirit" dyes, such as are used by woodworkers and leatherworkers. A search for spirit dyes should give you some places to check for a small quantity to try. Should be able to find leather dyes in craft stores, such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

Two words...

Tandy Leather.. I just wish I had thought of it first.

Tandy Leather Factory Will get you directly to their online catalog.... I don't thing you need to fool with the form on the page unless you want to get a catalog in the mail. Also, may add to your spam snail-mail and e-messages.

Their Dyes Will get you directly to the dyes section of the catalog. There is 7 pages and watch the trade jargon, don't buy a finish when you want a dye.

I have been trying to find my bottle of this stuff that I had just so I could post it on this thread and just found it yesterday.... so sorry for the delay. This is some stuff I got to play with last year at the IFTD show in Denver and let me tell you I fell in love, just dip it and bang it's color is changed and soft foam still stays soft!!!

Creative Color System from CCT

Steve

I was at the Fly Tackle Dealers show this past weekend here in New Orleans and Pat Dunlap of Cascade Crest Tools had jars of dye that he was dipping foam popper heads in to. I don't believe they are in his catalog yet but give him a call, he may be able to sell you some. http://www.cascadecrest.com/

Kirk

I was at the Fly Tackle Dealers show this past weekend here in New Orleans and Pat Dunlap of Cascade Crest Tools had jars of dye that he was dipping foam popper heads in to. I don't believe they are in his catalog yet but give him a call, he may be able to sell you some. http://www.cascadecrest.com/

Kirk

Kirk, i've you look at Steve P's post i think he put a link for the item you were looking for.

Yeah they are right there under that link.... Those things are awesome aren't they??? I love mine and have used them to color all kinds of stuff, they even color hooks very well and it stays too.

Steve

Kirk, i've you look at Steve P's post i think he put a link for the item you were looking for.

Yeah, that looks like the stuff. I didn't check out Steve's link - I wasn't really looking for the product just throwing it out there for the poster. I've got a bad habit of not really reading all the posts before commenting, I usually just skim.

Kirk

Yeah, that looks like the stuff. I didn't check out Steve's link - I wasn't really looking for the product just throwing it out there for the poster. I've got a bad habit of not really reading all the posts before commenting, I usually just skim.

Kirk

I do the same thing.