Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wolfi2de

German Fly Tying

Hello,

I started with a friend to translate my german tying instructions into english. Now my question: Is the translation good enough? Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Wolfgang

Scuds

Dendif

The Dendif

Plenty good enough, I'd change a word or two but they would make such a minor difference it isn't worth the effort, and would only be my opinion.

Your friend is doing a fine job. I would never know it was translated. I agree the pictures are top knotch! The pictures alone make the instructions even more crystal clear.

I'm curious why you split the thread when all you need to do is drop your bobbin and apply some hackle then hold the extended thread with a hackle hook and run the bobbin and thread back to the hook and apply one whip. Then spin the hackle hook providing a roped hackle to wrap the fly with. See this link for an example.

The example is in Eposide 301 - the middle fly tie "Hump's Sulpher (Nymph)

using a hackle hook

but, spliting the thread is a great idea too...I'll have to try it.

5.) Now split your thread with a needle, insert a little dubbing, and twist.

splitting thread is an alternative and accepted method of creating a dubbing loop to capture unruly materials such as hares ear and it accomplished the same effect as shown in the sulphur video

At first thank´s a lot for the positive replay.

@poksal: The thread I sell and use is a 12/0 Dyneema. Anyhow it is easy to split, and so you work with a very thin diameter ( very important for small hook size ). Next, if you use a Nor-Vise, as I do, it is the only one good working way to split the thread and ad any material into it.

All the best, Wolfgang Fabisch

At first thank´s a lot for the positive replay.

@poksal: The thread I sell and use is a 12/0 Dyneema. Anyhow it is easy to split, and so you work with a very thin diameter ( very important for small hook size ). Next, if you use a Nor-Vise, as I do, it is the only one good working way to split the thread and ad any material into it.

All the best, Wolfgang Fabisch

I gave it a try and like it. Wondering why I hadn't thought of that.... and is why I ask..... good stuff these chats.

I think the instructions are great and even I could tie one of these beauties and I am a clutz at the vise. I hope you will be able translate some of my slang. :rolleyes:

Bookmarked all to favorites. Very easily understood. Several very good suggestions such as the guard on the parachute fly for doing the whip finish.

Thanks

Nice ties, i am not the fishing police or anything but you are selling 'fishing trips' on your website, to be a licensed guide in BC you have to be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen (landed immigrant) and have done the exam, just curious if you are? You should mention that on your website so people know.