Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJ All Day

How do you tie off your para post hackle?

With thread...Ok, for real now. I sometimes keep my thread on the post, or sometimes I bring it to the eye. When I bring my thread to the eye, I put a turn of thread over the hackle, and bend the stem back, and do that multiple times. Then I whip finish. For some reason I find that the stem won't pull out, ever. When I have the thread on the post, sometimes I'll take the stem, angle it straight down, and do a couple wraps around the post and whip finish either on the post, or I hop my thread up to the eye and whip.

Take a look at the article in the latest Fly Tyer magazine about parachutes. It involves repostioning the hook so the eye is straight down, and then winding the hackle, and whip finishing the thread on the post. The article really explains it well. I've been doing it that way for a while, and never have to bother with hackle trapped in the whip finish at the head. Really easy to reposition the hook with a Regal type vise, and you can go as small as your eyes will handle. Really reduces the time required to tie a parachute type fly.