Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Pamola fly lathe

I have heard that there anyone it trying to start making them again, also

were they close to the Nor-Vise?And when was the last time this vise produce?

The man who was making the pamola lathe was older. Perhaps he retired. Maybe someone could start making these again. I am sure the design plans could be obtained if he is still alive. It was made before its time.
I finally opened one of my boxes of vises from storage. Lo and behold, the Pamola was in that box.I am posting a couple photos. I believe a couple folks might be interested in buying. There is a little rust on the rotary clip on arm. Otherwise, I think it is rust free. Looks very good to me anyway.First 400.Thanks,Byronphoto-15.jpgphoto-17.jpgphoto-16.jpgphoto-18.jpg

Not divert the thread, but I see you have. Jvise with the Dammacus jaws. How do you like it? Would you recommend buying one? How freely does it spin?

Thanks

Barry

Barry

I haven't seen Byron around this forum for almost two years. I *think* he stopped posting after a heated discussion on vises. You might try to send a PM to him, as he may not reply here. He's definitely a fan of Jay Smit's vice and tying tools.

The JVICE does not "spin." No rolling element bearings to facilitate spinning.

I have one I would sell

Byron

I`m looking for a pamola vice or any accessories such as the bench vise did you sell yours? Thanks Francois

According to his profile, he was last active on May 14, 2012. His profile also lists a blog. Might try to contact him through that.

This is Byron. I sold my Pamola a year or so ago. Sorta have seller's remorse now. It was one of the most beautiful and unique vises made. I must say, however, that in-line rotary is not my favorite. I prefer the hook clearance allowed by off-set rotary.

How does this vise compare to a nor-vise?Also is there any hope that company

will oroduce anymore of this type in the future?And are there companies to

make one to challenge the nor-vise?

I believe the owner of pamola fly lathe mfg is deceased, no idea who owns the remnants of the company. He was based in upton massachusetts. The only similarity between the two vises was their inline style of rotation. The nor-vise is ball bearing based so the rotation is a lot faster than the teflon or delrin bushings used in the pamola. I think the pamola can be reproduced or reconfigured to give it faster rotation if someone were to attempt it.

It would be nice if one of the owners would post a photo, I have never seen one before. Thanks