Fly Tying
salty fly

spray on attractant

I have been thinking about spray on attractant,like what the bass gear guys use.Does anybody use this stuff on flies?I kinda feel it's cheating a little,but if it helps me get my fish numbers up,I will anything.I just don't know if it some how messes up the hair and fearthers,keep them from not flowing good?I just dont know.If anybody has tryed this let my know.

Thanks,

Bryan 'Salty Fly'

First off,

I think your idea is something worth exploring, I myself have pondered the concept! Second, id assume that any oil based product would cause some unatractive movement in flies like big hair wings, zonkers and all that, but as for your more "stiffer" patterns like a stone I think it would be perfect. I dont think its cheating, I think its fishing with intelligence my friend, if it catches fish than use it. When I catch a fish I enjoy fighting it on a fly rod, whats on the end of my line as lure/bait/fly..bla bla whatever I couldnt care less as long as it works, be an individual and invent your own style. I was thinking a few days ago, theres this place on a lake near here with huge huge sunfish and we jig this 10 foot spot, next time im bringthing the fly rod with heavy stone flies tipped with some worm, if it works than sweet. bla bla bla in conclusion, water based spray scent.

Druce

I have known of some people to use the Gulp! juice on their flies with no adverse effects to the flies. Just dip the flies in the juice for a few minutes before fishing and refresh it every half hour or so. Some say its cheating, some say otherwise. To me, part of the joy of fly fishing is getting the bites based on the appearance and action of a fly that I tied. Which is also why the only store bought flies in my box are the wood poppers because I have not and to not intend to start making my own heads any time soon.

Could I interest you in my new line of custom fly boxes?

They seal in the freshness.

Now that's good stuff there utyer! Sure to get you into a ton of trout with these all natural flies!! I'm with flytire, might as well throw on a worm and a bobber.

OK....OK,all you guys are funny.I did say that I think It would be cheating.I do not fish for trout,largemouth bass is my game.For bass,as far as bite triggers,sight is third on the list,smell is first then sound and finally sight.

I like to watch Bill Dance,I get a lot of the tips that help me with my fly game.Seeing what the bass pros use gives me ideas to try.The stuff that I have the best luck with is things I try to copy that the gear guys are useing with materials that I can throw with my fly rod.BTW bobbers work good,my 5 year old girl rips up the bluegill with a san juan worm.I understand what you all are saying,just trying to think out of the box.mabey next time I will throw on a big jucie worm.thanks for the jokes,mabey I will get some of those custom fly boxes.

Yeah, some of us coldwater guys can get a little touchy. Its all in jest, and I sure wouldn't want to tick off a potential customer. Times is tough, what ever it takes. Yes, sometimes, I fish will "bobbers" and worms too (San Juan Worms.)

Just razzing ya a little man. I have friends that fish all sorts of different ways and It's only cheating if you get caught ;) I personally wouldn't do it but to each their own.

If you are going to use a scent why not just tie on a hunk of sponge to hold it. That way you don't have to go to all the trouble of tying flys and pruchasing all those feathers, and such. If you do use a bait smell that is fine and I don't think any less of you ... but that is not what I'm into. Catching a fish is the completion of the loop, it is seeing your multi-skill, multi-talent, and multi-hobby, creative hobby come full circle. If I put a bait smell or flavor on my fly I will never know it I fished it right and tied it right to catch a fish or if the fish went for the taste and smell.. that is a dead end for me... and it signals that tying and fly fishing would be a short run hobby due to the creative loop never being satisfied.

Anyone can tie a tribble hook to a line and sinker with stink bait. You just toss it out there in the water and wait for a cat fish to find it by smell.... not for me... big deal!?

If you add a flavor/scent that is what you have reduced your fly to. .. just a hook with some stuff to hold the juice.

I've done it a few times, but I catch boatloads of cats, drum, and carp without any scent. Once in a great while, I'll dunk the fly in some crawdad scent when the rivers are like chocolate milk. ;)

Guest rich mc

ive had a few scented worms fall in my flybox before it leaves a slight scent. it may help overcome thesmell of fresh sally hansen on the thread. rich

I buy plastic baits in bulk sometimes & add shad, crayfish or garlic oil to them. I also add "worm oil" which has no scent, and is used to keep the plastic from drying out, but really feel that such oils are more about "feel" than about smell. I've read that since oils do not dissolve in water fish can't smell them. I don't know either way, but still use the scents on plastics! :unsure:

Gulp, and Gulp Alive are great stuff, they work very well, and unlike regular plastics are biodegradable, but again, I much prefer to use spinning or baitcasting tackle when using such lures! Although, I've done better with Gulp products on species that feed by their sense of smell more than those that feed by sight! When I fish for LM or SM bass or Striped Bass, I can't say I've caught any more on Gulp than I have on regular plastics! :)

I'm no purist when it comes to fly fishing, so have no issues with anyone using whatever they like. I dunked a lot of bait with a fly rod when I was younger! However, as I've gotten older, I've stuck to using "flies" with a fly rod, and if I wish to use bait or plastics & scents, use other types of tackle. I have used scents like anise on flies when fishing for carp, but that's it, anise in particular seems to be attractive to many species, and like jhammer said, have caught plenty of fish without the scents! Besides, scents are messy! If I want to deal with messy, I'll just use bait! Technique & accuracy, getting the fly where it needs to be will catch a lot more fish than scents IMO. ;)

Don't let em get to you.

I may do some side by side comparison next year to test your theory.

When fishing for big bass on the fly I look for the reaction bite with streamers. I don't see attractant as a big help here because it's the quick, gills flared engulfing hit as the bait flashes past or falls.

But....I have watched a largemouth sit under a big deer hair bug for 5 or more minutes just looking at it. Then for no reason BAM! No motion (by me) just smash it. I have also seen them look at it like that and then just swim away. Here some attractant may help because he may be processing the info more.

Of course the third option is that I don't have a clue!

But, it's just what I have seen and I try to learn from it....

I've had bunches of people tell me WD40 works like a champ, but I've never done it. Makes sense though...works for everything else!

Now if I could just tie a fly that uses WD40, bailing twine, and duck tape, it would be invincible...