Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
clarkii

thin head cement options

just wonderin' what fellow fly tyers are using for a thin type head cement-

i have always used the griffs thin coat- my understanding is this is no longer in production?

-for the most part- this would be for trout fly stuff- usually not lookin' to fill gaps or add shine- just a good thin set-

i usually use waxed danville thread... so need something that can penetrate

kinda lookin' at the Loon water based- anyone tried this? i seems to get good reviews?

B)

thanks!

Ry.

just wonderin' what fellow fly tyers are using for a thin type head cement-

i have always used the griffs thin coat- my understanding is this is no longer in production?

-for the most part- this would be for trout fly stuff- usually not lookin' to fill gaps or add shine- just a good thin set-

i usually use waxed danville thread... so need something that can penetrate

kinda lookin' at the Loon water based- anyone tried this? i seems to get good reviews?

B)

thanks!

Ry.

Several years ago, I purchase a can of String Instrument Lacquer. This stuff is really thin, penetrates extremely well, and is basically what Cal Bird (famous Northern California Fly tyer) used. A can will last several lifetimes. I think I paid around $12.00 for a can and I've barely made a dent in it. Unfortunately, my wife can't stand the smell of the stuff, so I no longer use it when tying at home. For at home, I use Dave Fleximent, but I really thin it out. I mix probably 50% thinner to 50% fleximent.

Several friends I tie with use the Loon water-based stuff that comes in a plastic tube with a fine hollow needle applicator and they swear by it.

Update: I did a search and the price has gone up:

Lacquer Link

Hi clarkii,

Just use Sally Hansens Hard as Nails. It's thin, it penetrates really easy, and it's available all over the place. Cut the applicator brush down to make it more thin so it's more precise for trout fly heads. One small bottle will last you a very long time. I've had mine for years now and I have yet to add any thinner to it.

Regards,

Mark

The only thing I caution with the loon water based one is if you use the applicator needle thing which is good for little flies you have to wash it after every time you are done with it which can be annoying.

thanks for the response guys!

griffs thin works pretty good!

yes- i agree!

but they have stopped making it-

it will sell out soon- and i am looking for other options... B)

thinkin' i'll go w/ sallys- maybe thin it for smaller flies- and try out some water based stuff as well... for now.

cheers!

Ry.

I second the vote for Flexament and the same look bottle of thinner.

Rather than Sally's buy NYC brand and get more nail polish for less money.. I have several bottles of both and can't tell the difference except in the varity of colors. All brands seem to have their own line of colors. The clear is still clear. It is popular with teen girls because it is less expensive which was an intelligent marketing strategy. Teen girls buy a LOT of nail polish.

I use Sally Hensens but have 3 or so bottles on the go because it does get thick quickly.

The best thinner for it is plain Acetone - NOT nail varnish thinners which contain oils and such like. - One nail varnish thinner I tried even separated in the bottle with the nail varnish sinking to the bottom of the bottle!

Someone mentioned "water based" head cement. Since most threads are waxed, would a water based head cement

be the optimal choice when a penetrating head cement is desired?

YIKES!!! Six bucks for a one ounce bottle of Griffs? I can get a quart can of Deft Clear Gloss Wood Finish (lacquer) (32oz) for under $12.00, and a gallon of lacquer thinner (128 oz) for about the same price, and have enough head cement for about ten lifetimes. It works great, and is obtainable wherever paints and painting supplies are sold.

Someone mentioned "water based" head cement. Since most threads are waxed, would a water based head cement

be the optimal choice when a penetrating head cement is desired?

good question!

i use loons waterbase but i put it in a glass bottle with a bodkin in the top of the lid.

i always use 2 coats on the heads 1 coat on wingcases like turkey or goose for strength.