Fly Tying

Quill Gordon

I was busy sorting out piles of old fly tying stuff and came across the Quill Gordon pictured - It was tied by an old client and friend of mine Bill Purdy. Bill is one of the finest fly tiers I have known. We met in Boulder, CO back in the ’70s when we were supplying CREATIVE ANGLERS with a series of innovative flies,

(mostly nymph patterns) designed by Bill and Ken Ligus (SCINTILLA DUBBING fame) - I have lost touch with both these guys and anyone out there that can give me a lead to them I would be very grateful.

Onto the Quill Gordon - For younger members, that perhaps done know, this pattern was tied by our founding father of dry fly fishing in America. Theodore Gordon. Mr. Gordon fished the Catskill region of New York State (born 1854-1915). Mr. Gordon was receiving dry flies from England and was not content with these flies so he started to tie his own. We need to stop here for a minute and imagine the difficulty of doing this! No vise? - Where did he get the hooks, materials? - Tying Thread etc. etc. - A true dry fly pioneer!

I think it’s time to revive and remember these founders and what they passed onto our hobby and sport. - Mr. Gordon was a bit of a hermit, he never published a book but was a writer for the Fishing Gazette and other publications. Unbeknown to him he will always be remembered for his tenacity and will to fool a wary trout! - What a beautiful hobby and sport we have!