Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
primitivepete

how to strip peacock herl

What's the easiest way? I've seen some cool looking quill bodies made this way on dries, and I've seen some great wet flies where only one side is stripped.

Ideas?

Hi primitivepete,

I could be wrong, but I think you could be referring to a fly tied with quill that hasnt be stripped, not herl. Quills comes for the actual 'eye' part of a peacock feather. Herl comes from further down the feather. If I am right, the sort of flies will look like the one below:

post-34974-0-78373200-1321300746_thumb.jpg

I find the easiest way to strip quill is with a rubber but this can easily snap the fibre. Davie McPhail show how to do it in one of his videos! Others use bleach and I've seen people use a needle and run it on its side along the length of the fibre.

Of course there are much more experience tyers that could help you beter than I could!

hope this helps! :lol:

Paul

post-34974-0-27957800-1321300756_thumb.jpg

What's the easiest way? I've seen some cool looking quill bodies made this way on dries, and I've seen some great wet flies where only one side is stripped.

Ideas?

got photos?

i'd like to see that magic

stripping peacock herl. you can use:

thumbnail

bleach

candle wax

eraser

bodkin/needle

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=47956

Hi primitivepete,

I could be wrong, but I think you could be referring to a fly tied with quill that hasnt be stripped, not herl. Quills comes for the actual 'eye' part of a peacock feather. Herl comes from further down the feather. If I am right, the sort of flies will look like the one below:

Trying to figure out both "quill" and "herl" techniques. It sounds like "quill" was used in the picture of that fly correct? That is one effect I would really like to learn...so it's a strand from the eye section, right?

Hi primitivepete,

Trying to figure out both "quill" and "herl" techniques. It sounds like "quill" was used in the picture of that fly correct? That is one effect I would really like to learn...so it's a strand from the eye section, right?

yes to both questions, herl is bushier while quills have a slim profile- in my opinion. just take one quill from the stem and tie it in by the the piece of 'skin' you will see at the bottom. then wrap it just like herl, but only use one strand. there is no preperation involved it will make this effect as you wrap it in touching turns like any other body material. look at one of davie mcphail's videos of tying a quill buzzer if you dont understand about the 'skin' but of course he is using stripped quill! I hope this isn't confusing!

If you want what i think is a really cool body, there is another material called turkey biots that are a bit like big goose biots. watch davie mcphails comparadun video (

) to see what you think and how to use them. And yes, Davie McPhail is my hero when it comes to fly tying!! :lol:

If you have any more questions, you can PM me!

good luck and tight lines

Paul