Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Mike, you've gotta be the most relaxed fly fisherman I've ever seen. Love it!

I lived just a few minutes from the St. Johns for 3 years back in the late 80's (stationed at Mayport, lived in Jax) and I never fished it. I was young, single, and in Florida so my priorities were different I guess :) . Your videos make me want to go back for a while and make up for lost fishing opportunities.

Oh, caught the first bass on my MCFR 5 wt. Thursday. Not a monster, but fun.

imagejpg1_zpsbfcd595a.jpg

Even a small bass will dive for the depths once or twice. It's always a nice surprise when one of those attacks a small fly intended for some other species.

Nice video Mike looks like you had a good day on Saturday, i threw in the towel on the fly rod and ended up spin fishing for catfish the rest of the weekend. I never have any luck fly fishing lakes.

Even a small bass will dive for the depths once or twice. It's always a nice surprise when one of those attacks a small fly intended for some other species.

Nice vid Mike, what a beautiful place to fish with the birds chirping, looks like plenty of action as well

Nice video Mike looks like you had a good day on Saturday, i threw in the towel on the fly rod and ended up spin fishing for catfish the rest of the weekend. I never have any luck fly fishing lakes.

There are places along the St. Johns that seem barren, no hits, no fish. But at times, every cast spooks pods of tiny minnows and grass shrimp ... that's when you know there's going to be good days of fishing. This stretch, actually a side channel, not the main river, is fantastic for Sunfish ... not quite as productive for bass. It's four miles long, most of it less than 200 feet wide. Nothing like fishing lakes. When I fish lakes, if I can find the 4 foot depth line, that's where I concentrate my fishing. It's seems to ba amagic depth here, weed lines, pads and 4 feet = lots of fish, sometimes big ones.

Nice vid Mike, what a beautiful place to fish with the birds chirping, looks like plenty of action as well

Thanks to both of you ... the videos are proving to be addictive. I ran the battery dead the first time out, but have tried to be conservative since. I missed videoing two gar Saturday, because I was saving battery for "later". I guess I'll need to buy a second battery so I can run the camera for longer periods of time.

As I stated above, this particular channel is 4 miles long, and fairly "untraveled" by the masses. It's all supposed to be "slow speed, minimum wake" but most of the people coming through there are up on plane. The ones who don't want to break that law stay off and run the river. It is a beautiful, pristine throw back to Florida, the way it was.

Got some more nice Spotted Sunfish yesterday morning ... made a new video to show some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fk7UyOrJc

You'd never get away with slapping the water with your fly line on your false casts like that if you were fishing for trout but it seems to work well for those gills.

Yeah, I know my technique isn't as refined as most ... but what you can't see in the videos, due to the wide angle lens, is that I am casting under over hangs. A lot of time, most of my leader is under the branches, the fly line is not.

But I am not fishing for trout, thankfully.

Had a pretty good day of fishing today. Went out around noon. Its not typically a very productive time of day around here for trout but It was cool and overcast so I figured why not. Caught a few standard, ok fish then I got a monster hit from what I thought was a very large rainbow and lost it. My line got snagged at my feet on a rock and with no drag the fish broke off my fly when it went out into the fast current. Shortly after it started to pour on me and I decided to get out of the rain. Once the rain quit about an hour later I went back out and decided to try some dry flies. Hooked the fish in the pictures on the first cast.

It was the fish I lost!

If you look in its mouth you'll see the stimulator I caught it on and the hares ear I lost. It put up a big fight but was only about the same size as most of the fish I catch in The Wells River a little fatter and a little longer but not the slab it felt like. It did, however, have very dark pink colors on the fins and the lateral line was darker than any Ive ever caught around here. It was a very pretty fish.

Also pictured is obviously not a fish. This woodchuck seems endlessly fascinated with watching me fish. Every time I go down to the river near where I took this picture he comes out and watches me fish. He just sits there. Some times for a long time.

Last night I went out for a bit and he sat right there on that rock and watched me fish through for about a half hour until I hooked a little rainbow that made a big show of jumping all over.

post-52247-0-37625700-1404772522_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-66599200-1404772539_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-68741200-1404772556_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-51960000-1404772573_thumb.jpg

Wonder if that trout ate your stimulator because he knew you'd take that nymph out of his mouth!?!?!? Haha just a thought! :D

Fisherboy,

I had that very same thought. I was surprised it was still feeding with that hook in its mouth, especially so soon after getting stung but it took that stimulator with vigor.

-Will

Couple nice rainbows from a spring creek and a picture of the food they're gorging on now. Every step I took sent hundreds of grasshoppers flying. Had the biggest brown trout I've ever seen tail my streamer for a few seconds, then he went back to the depths.

post-47808-0-07280700-1404796712_thumb.jpgpost-47808-0-33643600-1404796742_thumb.jpgpost-47808-0-37561800-1404796761_thumb.jpg

I love it when the hoppers are abundant. Sunfish and bass will sit in the deeper water, looking at the shore. They rush in to grab hoppers that fall in. Very exciting time to be fly fishing.

I was lucky to catch several snakeheads with a popper; the biggest one was about 10 pounds (not the one at the image).

Snakehead is native to our waters (Amur R.), it is rather strong fish.

post-34261-0-21001700-1404819707_thumb.jpg