Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Fish For Life,

Beautiful fish...I fully believe in the Good Lord above...That there is proof for me!

Mike, Nice Stump Knockers. Decent size to them. Pictures just don't do them justice, no matter how hard you try. They are spunky little fish that just won't quit until they have swallowed that 3/0 hair bug meant for monster bass. While they can be a pest in large numbers, I like to catch a dozen or two throughout a day.

Not much of a picture... but this time of year we're tangling with big tarpon in small rivers at really close quarters..... This spot has cost me several fly lines over the years as my anglers hook up with fish that just won't give up. Two days ago we did it again - the fish was around 100lbs and it screamed up river. I couldn't start the motor since we didn't want to put down the many fish around us so we poled up after her doing pretty well at first, then she ran to the other bank and found a few mangrove branches to run up under. Another line gone -along with around 150 feet of backing.... Angler John Kern from Utah will remember that fish.

Just nothing like the Everglades -we went on to hook up five more fish in that same spot alternating between fly and lures.... If you look closely at the photo you can see the fly line as the fish just took us to school. Here's a pic of the large size fly we're using each day.... it's a Tarpon Snake on a stout 4/0 hook.

post-30940-0-10273600-1428493187_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-82982700-1428493281_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-56471300-1428493306_thumb.jpg

Another great day on the St Johns River. I wasn't keeping any today, so just some pictures of the biggest ones. The Longeared Sunfish were pretty ... small, but colorful.

The LargeMouth Bass were schooling. I was seeing 4 an 5 pounders, but couldn't catch anything over about 2.

They were hitting fast. I'd get one to the boat, only to have it shake the hook ... cast out and hook another. I boated about 6 or 7 ... lost 2 for every one I lipped.

And I got several very nice sized Coppernose Bluegill. Every one of them took a top water foam bodied popper.

I don't know, I dont think they are ulcers or disease spots. It seemed pretty healthy. I was using a 3x leader so I didn't really play it long, it seemed pretty vigorous, it went crazy in the net it could have been from that (doubt it though). I'm betting it's not spawning activity either, I dont think a whole lot of spawning goes on in this river. I have only ever caught 1 fish that was smaller than the stocked size of 9.5 inches, it was only about 5" and it did have parr markings but I doubt there are many like it in the river.

If any one has an idea of what that is Id love to hear it.

Here are a couple of recent catches from northern California...

Mendocino County Smallmouth:

post-47830-0-86140100-1428885426_thumb.jpg

Mendocino County Largemouth:

post-47830-0-09637700-1428885435_thumb.jpg

First Carp of the year, Clearlake, caught on 1960's Sears and Roebuck Glass:

post-47830-0-88236300-1428885432_thumb.jpg

Here's a Bully from a couple weeks back on Trout Opener in Alberta, Canada.

post-32306-0-17810800-1429187623_thumb.jpg

Nice job, Morrow. That's a pretty Bowfin. Scary, bringing a big fish in through that much weed growth ... always waiting for it to wrap up enough to break off.

I don't normally take pics but this brute came in at 32" and fought an epic battle so took a quick shot before reviving him. It was such a nice fish, took me into my backing once and even a few tail dances! I learned a new trick of putting the net strap around your foot so it doesn't float away and yup it came off my foot and floated away. I looked at the fish and he wasn't ready so I figured I could always get a new net. This is the last picture I will ever have of that net.

post-52996-0-38848900-1429204833_thumb.jpg

Nice job, Morrow. That's a pretty Bowfin. Scary, bringing a big fish in through that much weed growth ... always waiting for it to wrap up enough to break off.

Thanks Mikechell, they were done spawning and were aggressively protecting the fry near the heavy cover. I knew there were some big males roaming so I brought out the 10 weight so I could quickly drag them in before they tangle and release it so it could get back to the fry. Too bad that many anglers out there think of them as trash fish and kill them on site.

First for 2015. Lost another 6 so hopefully now the nights are drawing out there's more to come.

post-42518-0-44266900-1429271606_thumb.jpg