Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

GC59 does catching all these nice beautiful trout get old? do you ever hope to catch a 6 inch sucker just to mix things up?

You know vicente its been a long time since I've caught a sucker, decades maybe. Catching trout never gets old.

Fishing the Salmon and Aniak rivers in Alaska

mikes+c+105.jpgThe Dollies aren't big here, but they are pretty.

mikes+c+002.jpgThe grayling get pretty big (for grayling) and they sure are pretty.

mikes+c+028.jpgThis chum salmon hit an egg with milt pattern. A good fight on a 5 wt.

mikes+c+082.jpg

The rainbows are sure pretty, they call these ones with all the spots leopard rainbows.

mikes+c+085.jpgThis is one of my chunkiest rainbows of the trip. The rainbows here are all catch and release, so we let them all go. I was catching over a hundred fish a day, toward the end of each day we'd keep enough Dollies and grayling for a meal.

mikes+c+119.jpgCaught some Sockeyes too. It was very difficult to get them to bite a fly, most were foul hooked.

my+c+aniak+078.jpgOne of the brightest dollies.

my+c+aniak+094.jpgWe call this one a "real toad" he's so chunky.

mikes+c+163.jpg A char wrapped in bacon. Yum. Sitting in my long johns while I dry my clothes.

mikes+c+193.jpgThese chrome-bright cohos are fresh from the ocean.

mikes+c+196.jpgHere's a nice buck.

mikes+c+199.jpgA nice female.

What a great trip, scheming another one.

Impressive catches, Mark. Outstanding days on the water.

I've been to Alaska twice, and have not had the opportunity to fish. Those fish look fun, but in my world ... nothing is worth being cold.

I'll stick with my little fish in Florida.

Looks like middle-of-the-summer pictures there. If I get the chance to come up during that time of the year, I'll be giving the fishing a try.

I've been to Alaska twice, and have not had the opportunity to fish. Those fish look fun, but in my world ... nothing is worth being cold.

Looks like middle-of-the-summer pictures there. If I get the chance to come up during that time of the year, I'll be giving the fishing a try.

Yes, middle of summer, July. 60 to 80 degrees. You definitely should do it. I can help point you in the right direction if you decide to come up.

Yes, middle of summer, July. 60 to 80 degrees. You definitely should do it. I can help point you in the right direction if you decide to come up.

Wow nice fish mark- Here in Mass we have landlocked Atlantic salmon, they grow to about 3lbs although my first one was considerably smaller than the average. (yes put him back after the photo)

.post-63811-0-14665600-1542377967_thumb.jpg

In our local rivers the brook trout are about the size of a dollar bill up to 8" on average. Check out the colors on this guy!

post-63811-0-76262000-1542378722_thumb.jpg

Wow nice fish mark- Here in Mass we have landlocked Atlantic salmon, they grow to about 3lbs although my first one was considerably smaller than the average. (yes put him back after the photo)

.attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

In our local rivers the brook trout are about the size of a dollar bill up to 8" on average. Check out the colors on this guy!

We have land locked salmon here too, silvers and kings. That brook trout is gorgeous.

An arctic grayling on a moose hair mosquito.

mosquito.jpg

An arctic char on a stream-side nymph. The fly was tied with materials I found on the gravel bar near camp. Raven feathers, some odd raptor feathers, a thread from my sock and a wire from my cell phone charger for ribbing. Arctic char are now taxonomically different from dolly varden. It was one of the species I needed for my self impost challenge to catch all of Alaska's game fish on a personal, original fly pattern. Alaska Dept of Fish and Game biologists knew of only 4 or 5 lakes where they were known to exist. On a three week float trip in the Brooks Range in 2016 I found 12 new high mountain lakes that the fish are (now) known to be in.

DSCF1473-XL.jpg

One of my favorite grayling pictures.

grayling-L.jpg

Happy fishing.

WOW!! Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures. I will always prefer the salt, but Alaska is definitely a dream destination.

Nicely done!

WOW!! Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures. I will always prefer the salt, but Alaska is definitely a dream destination.

Nicely done!

Thank you very much. But did you say the "Salt". I would love to see some pictures from the flats, it's a place I've never been to. I'm assuming things like bone fish, tarpon, red fish and such. Le'me see.

I really like fishing the salt too, if you like you can see some of my pictures from the salt here. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87766