Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Wait, was he striped or stripped, he looked striped to me. Sorry to knit pick at you.

I thought I saw a long ear sun fish there. I will leave the species ID to you, you da man on that.

Nice trip.

You're correct ... striped ... not stripped, unless there's some apparel it HAD on that it no longer wore. A school uniform, perhaps? He wasn't even big enough to strip line from the reel! dry.png

Long-Eared Sunfish have more color ... speckling on the sides and blue spots.

250px-Longear_sunfish.jpg

The Redbreast Sunfish is, well, what's on the video.

redbrst.jpg

Credit ... pictures from the internet.

Nice Mike! Specs are moving into spawning areas down here too. Caught a dozen in one of the small (80' diameter) neighborhood ponds I have permission to fish. All of them were along the edges instead of in the middle, most had noticeable roe bulges. Owner of the pond didn't even know he had specks in there.

Swamp

Unfortunately, for me, I won't be on the water again until the 21st or so. Leaving Sunday, returning the following Saturday, so the next two weekends are shot. Have fun catching more Crappie ... Specs, I mean.

Yep, that's why I said I would leave the ID's to you. It's funny that the long ears have shorter ears than the red breast. That's the way it is sometimes with fish names.

They'll be there when you get back I'm sure. With this cold..er...cooler weather I doubt it will get good again till Saturday or Sunday anyway. Enjoy the snow! LOL

Swamp

Fortunately, this trip is to French Camp, California. I've done fishing videos from there before ... the temps are similar to here. Unfortunately, I'm not there through a weekend this time. So, I won't get the chance to fish.

Thanks for posting the video Mark!.. There really are places in world where people can still fish without risking frost bite. I have 6 months to wait until we see that type of weather around these hills.

Mike, are you specifically fishing for sunnies? Looking at your videos I can't believe there's not a ton of bass in the areas you fish.

There's, actually, a lot more pressure on the bass than appears on my videos. I usually try some bass flies or plastic worms in most areas, but I'd rather catch a mess of sunfish than to not catch anything while targeting bass only.

I've caught several bass up between 2 and 6 pounds while fishing flies small enough for sunfish. So, I spend more time using those smaller offerings.

Some 5wt bank fishing, while dodging rain showers. Snapped some pics and watched her swim off.

post-59266-0-19216600-1577568876_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-20613800-1577568937_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-07627600-1577569254_thumb.jpeg