Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

4 minutes ago, GC59 said:

1 of 3 from this morning.  Catch, Admire, Release.

Nice, healthy looking Rainbow there, Mr. GC59

I spent Saturday and Sunday morning on the beautiful Still Water river here in central Massachusetts.  Saturday they were hitting pretty much any dry I threw.  It's fairly shallow so it doesn't take much to get them to rise even without a hatch.  Sunday I fished the same river in a different location and couldn't buy a hit on a dry.  I went to soft hackles in the skinny water and nymphs in the pools and that salvaged my day.   Small Rainbows and Brook Trout are a lot of fun on a  3 weight.

IMG_E5656.thumb.JPG.59f22cb83be344c753d6de65f974cad5.JPGIMG_5669.thumb.JPG.411344f36e18b07bac23118237b0caad.JPGIMG_5698.thumb.JPG.dd0ccdfaa759afff6a07a522435f2616.JPGIMG_5667.thumb.JPG.f9aeeb7837397c0f0642de9fb68a90ff.JPGIMG_5681.thumb.JPG.b0d2f1ef33349cf21a9dac1594647700.JPGIMG_5675.thumb.JPG.7754600b4c51415efe200067bcb3a56a.JPGIMG_5678.thumb.JPG.00db0eea409a2031b8437ca14a32aac9.JPG

IMG_E5663.JPG

IMG_E5662.JPG

DC -those are some gorgeous bows, great spots! 

Dfoster- The pic of the first spot looks great, I could spend a whole day in that spot from the looks of it. BTW....is that a glass rod in the pics?

Mike- Bite me

7 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

DC -those are some gorgeous bows, great spots! 

Dfoster- The pic of the first spot looks great, I could spend a whole day in that spot from the looks of it. BTW....is that a glass rod in the pics?

Mike- Bite me

Thanks steel-  It's an LL Bean Pocket Water 7' 3" 3 weight and it's the rod I fish more than any other.  Not the most expensive rod/reel combo I own but I really like it for the tight quarters small streams I usually fish.  It won't cast beyond 40' but out to 30' it's pin point accurate including roll cast.  The right tool for the job as they say.

IMG_5677.thumb.JPG.05647f90c96ed4e1713452d9beb694fd.JPG

Mike I honestly get more of a kick out of catching very wary wild brook trout on a small stream in tight quarters than I do larger Bows and Browns in our bigger rivers.  Around here a 10" brookie is a trophy fish and on light tackle they fight like your bringing in an old boot.  There's actually a small but devoted group of New Englanders up here that specifically hunt out and fish the small streams these little gems live in.  I really like  the solitude involved with small stream fishing.  Most anglers won't devote the time and effort required to locate these area's for such a small fish preferring the larger easy access rivers.  That's fine, I also fish those for the big ones but there is something special about our native Char.

18 hours ago, DFoster said:

the beautiful Still Water

Nice fish and photos, its been a while since I been on that river, glad to see it's doing well.  .  

39 minutes ago, niveker said:

Nice fish and photos, its been a while since I been on that river, glad to see it's doing well.  .  

It's a great local fishery, I'm a 30 minute ride away.  You probably know but if not, around the 2nd week in October each year the most southern population landlocked Atlantic Salmon in the U.S. come up from the reservoir to spawn.   They run in the 20"+ range and with Rainbows, Browns and Brookies it can be fly fishing heaven, if you don't mind the crowds.  The juvenile parr don't head to the reservoir and can be caught in the river year round.  In the 5" - 8" a lot of people mistake them for Brook Trout.  Here's one I caught not to along ago next to a brookie the same size.IMG_2602.thumb.PNG.f6bd13658d733d5db4311770c5e99edf.PNGIMG_2606.thumb.JPG.1f01592b86f7d40c49ebad1d46de0618.JPG year

@DFoster

Thanks - yes the LL salmon run is what I think of when I think of the Stillwater, though I've never been on it at the right time.  The last time was 5 or 6 years ago, last time I went fly fishing with my Dad, actually.  There were reports that they were around, but we didn't see any.  

I was beginning to think I'd never find good numbers of fish.  This morning was a good one, though.

If I didn't have a bag of fillets in the freezer already, those would've all been kept!

Great video Mike! Nice to see such a good speck bite this late in the year.