Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Love catching Bowfin on a fly.  Rare, but tons o' fun.  That's a nice one, too.

Check those recommendations again, Rich.  Bowfin aren't bad.  They're survivors from the age of dinosaurs.  They rarely overpopulate waters they live in.

According to all the research I can find(USGS and others), the Bowfin has never had a negative impact where it's been introduced.  Rarely do introduced populations even survive.  It is strictly a North American species.  So, although it might not be indigenous to the water you caught it from, it IS indigenous to the U.S.

Release them.  They help to cull the little fish, letting big fish get bigger.

4 hours ago, Landon P said:

Screenshot_20200717-205610_Snapchat.jpg

Hey Landon, do you have anything on that kayak to keep it stable when you stand like that? I had to put outriggers on mine, casting big pike streamers without a little extra stability felt too dangerous😅

7 hours ago, xterrabill said:

I was told by a WDNR Conservation Warden "Throw it up on shore, its an invasive species" a few years ago.

Bowfin are native to North America, mostly occurring East of the Mississippi. Now, the Snakehead which is similar to appearance to the Bowfin,IS and invasive species. In the areas where Snakeheads have established breeding colonies, gamefish populations have not collapsed as predicted. That being said, I would love to take a Snakhead on a fly

1 hour ago, Justin H said:

Hey Landon, do you have anything on that kayak to keep it stable when you stand like that? I had to put outriggers on mine, casting big pike streamers without a little extra stability felt too dangerous😅

No nothing. I just get up and there I am. The yak I have is pretty stable as is

I know what the species was, I have seen both snakehead and dog fish many times, a friend had one (snakehead) in a tank for 3 years. The dnr seen me catch and release it (dog fish), then came over and asked me what it was,

and said exactly "Next time, throw it up on shore, its an invasive species", I still remember the officers name but don't remember how it was spelled, it was pronounced "wee-met". 

I know he was watching us with binoculars, we were the only ones on the lake that morning, we seen him in his boat hiding on the other side of an island for 20 min.

this was on lake Minocqua in upper Wisconsin.

Later I also learned he was well known for being rather unpleasant.

He did go through our boat/live wells/bait/life jackets, ect ect ect and licenses extremely well.

1 from this morning,fooled with a #14 SH black hen & silver.IMG_1544.jpg.d2f5ac317a82bc55f81e8e070b142863.jpgIMG_1547.jpg.919596dc610149d676e5912739f3e596.jpgCatch,release.