Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

On 4/5/2021 at 7:59 AM, feathers5 said:

You should show the same pattern Clouser before you fished it. It would be a cool comparison. Nice fish.

Here you go. The one on the right.

E93AF91B-2878-4258-A75A-85C56776D8A5.thumb.jpeg.88a64ed3207c130c5d292874fd9cd588.jpeg

Here's a couple of stocked rainbows I got a few days ago on #16 black stone fly nymphs.   This spring has been frustrating because of the New England wind.  We've had plenty of beautiful fishing days BUT I've been at work.  When I have had the time to get out the wind has been gusting.  I don't like using indicators and prefer to cast a rod length of line and watch my leader for takes.  A strong wind makes that style of fishing upstream or across tough.  Fishing downstream is really is the only option.  The wind today was so bad that I was lucky to get my flies within 10' of the target.  I called it quits after 30 minutes went home.

IMG_8778.thumb.JPG.7a3fca6bbf324963fc11874eee36e881.JPGIMG_8752.thumb.JPG.684eff71dafad851ace5f068ad3815f1.JPGIMG_8796.thumb.JPG.92e52b53376acc52e362b14c2d26c556.JPGIMG_8771.thumb.JPG.3d85c4f599b5962aacf03fb701e10263.JPG

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

I called it quits after 30 minutes went home.

Pretty fish and nice fly. 

It has been a windy spring, but at least you got out on the river.  I haven't had the chance yet, I've been so busy. 

My brother, my cousin, and I are supposed to the Westfield EB this week-end, while some of the other boys are setting up turkey camp.  Hope the wind decides to take the day off.    

12 hours ago, niveker said:

Pretty fish and nice fly. 

It has been a windy spring, but at least you got out on the river.  I haven't had the chance yet, I've been so busy. 

My brother, my cousin, and I are supposed to the Westfield EB this week-end, while some of the other boys are setting up turkey camp.  Hope the wind decides to take the day off.    

Anytime on a river is a gift, it's just this year it's been socks and underwear instead of a Red Ryder BB gun😉.   Saturday is the pick and maybe Friday afternoon if the wind dies out, I hope it works out for you guys.  Definitely try small stones, there have been millions of them on the every river I've been on and I'm an hour East of the Westfield.  Also Ken has been saying on his blog that best fly of the spring for him and his clients has been the partridge and orange.  He guides the Westfield EB a lot.

22 hours ago, DFoster said:

best fly of the spring for him and his clients has been the partridge and orange

Yeah, he's a P&O fanatic, LOL.  

IMG_8817.thumb.JPG.ace6c931dddf20101f27c41a2f93672d.JPG  

I got on the water a little late on Saturday.  The sun was high and most of the trout had slipped back to the deeper pools which was kind of sad.  In the early morning or on overcast days they can be caught in the wonderful riffles in the photos.  I caught this one in 6" -8' of water on a #12 Orange Nymph.  Great fighter.

IMG_8812.thumb.JPG.60c6348730dd3e7037bf1ade69535c18.JPG

IMG_8815.thumb.JPG.531e9a10c3cf62d9425e4f40fd0cdef1.JPG

18 hours ago, DFoster said:

I got on the water a little late on Saturday. 

Nice looking rainbow, DF, good to see someone had some luck.

We got skunked over on the Westfield (MB & EB) on Saturday & Sunday.  Beautiful day Saturday, gusty but with enough lulls to ease the frustration, Sunday was a little cooler but with only intermittent light rain.  Water was cold and high, guess they had some snow up Berks a few days before, which was melting off.  Only saw one fish both days, a chunky rainbow who followed my streamer for a bit before turning away.  More of a scouting trip I guess, as we haven't fished there before.  Really beautiful location, though, definitely will go back.  .   

On 4/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, niveker said:

Nice looking rainbow, DF, good to see someone had some luck.

We got skunked over on the Westfield (MB & EB) on Saturday & Sunday.  Beautiful day Saturday, gusty but with enough lulls to ease the frustration, Sunday was a little cooler but with only intermittent light rain.  Water was cold and high, guess they had some snow up Berks a few days before, which was melting off.  Only saw one fish both days, a chunky rainbow who followed my streamer for a bit before turning away.  More of a scouting trip I guess, as we haven't fished there before.  Really beautiful location, though, definitely will go back.  .   

Thank you- that was the only trout on the day for me. I also caught a really hard fighting Fall fish which was fun.  I really hit the knee deep riffles all morning but the sun was high by that point so I think they were deep by then.  I'm sorry you guys had quiet day but there's a lot of nice weather to come.  I've never fished the Westfield but I've heard good things and it certainly look like nice water.  I was wrestling with the wind on Saturday also, like you trying to cast between the gust.  I ruined a few nice fishy looking pools having to wade through to get my fly out of a bush thanks to a badly timed gust.  On the bright side the wind did  keep the black flies in check.

For what it's worth a couple of friends had a great day and caught 6 Browns with spoons on the Ware River (Gilbertville area).

On 4/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, DFoster said:

Here's a couple of stocked rainbows I got a few days ago on #16 black stone fly nymphs.   This spring has been frustrating because of the New England wind.  We've had plenty of beautiful fishing days BUT I've been at work.  When I have had the time to get out the wind has been gusting.  I don't like using indicators and prefer to cast a rod length of line and watch my leader for takes.  A strong wind makes that style of fishing upstream or across tough.  Fishing downstream is really is the only option.  The wind today was so bad that I was lucky to get my flies within 10' of the target.  I called it quits after 30 minutes went home.

Mine was actually a slide fit.

Nice flies, nice water, nice fish, what else could a guy ask for. Good on ya.

I caught this stocked fish on Monday after work on a #12 Antron Caddis Pupa.  Another one and done, strange fishing so far this year.  I get one over a few hours and that's it.  Still better than none but I'm thinking I haven't quite keyed in on fishing the deeper pools correctly. 

IMG_8883.thumb.JPG.6110ff4171ae77b87cbc77e4611007dc.JPG1419987971_ANTRONCADDISPUPA.JPG.90216bddee3dc6ffb974aac68088e7d7.JPG

Great looking fly and nice rosy red cheeked 'bow.    

I've only been out on the water twice so far this spring, and got skunked both times.  And from the few fly fishermen I talk to, things have been on the slower side also.  Could be that the waters are slow warm up, so the fish haven't spread out into their regular haunts yet, or the increase in numbers of people fishing has decreased the # of available fish.  I'm certain it isn't any shortcoming or lack of skill on my part.  

16 hours ago, niveker said:

Great looking fly and nice rosy red cheeked 'bow.    

I've only been out on the water twice so far this spring, and got skunked both times.  And from the few fly fishermen I talk to, things have been on the slower side also.  Could be that the waters are slow warm up, so the fish haven't spread out into their regular haunts yet, or the increase in numbers of people fishing has decreased the # of available fish.  I'm certain it isn't any shortcoming or lack of skill on my part.  

Thanks sir, I've been out roughly 10 times about 3 hours each with 4 bows to show for it.  I've caught plenty of small Fall Fish and River Herring which is fun too.  When I have been skunked I always reflect on my son in law statement "I caught peace and quiet" a valued catch to a married guy .  😉