Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

And you guys above Mikes post with the big trout and nice pike...you're all dead to me! 😁 Weather here has been so damn hot this summer I haven't been able to get on the water for anything since June this year :(

45 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

And you guys above Mikes post with the big trout and nice pike...you're all dead to me! 😁 Weather here has been so damn hot this summer I haven't been able to get on the water for anything since June this year :(

Fish for some large mouths,  it's supposed to hit 108 at my house this week, we've been here since 2012 hottest I can remember is 103 or 104.

HOT it is! I was on the water from 6-1 yesterday, and that was all I could take. That’s saying a lot coming from me. But when the breeze died midday, and the scattered clouds were all around except straight up. That’s when it started cooking. ☀️☄️

I tossed the 8wt most of the morning as I am still chasing the elusive snook on fly. Landed a few small bass and several cichlids. Missed my chance once again at a snook. This time the fish  hit the fly as I was resting my arms, looking away . It was a few feet from the boat and by the time I was able to grab the line and come tight, it was gone. The frey on the 30# leader from a snooks razor blade gill plate confirmed the culprit. 

Eventually the 3wt. went to work. I caught a handful of big gills and twice as many cichlids and small bream. I finally quit when every thing in the boat was too 🔥 to touch. Even the vinyl seats would scorch through cargo shorts. 

34C92238-34F8-4032-9C62-FDCEC5ACDB65.jpeg

Yeah, that's a pretty fish, Caloosa.

Raining today, here.  Hasn't really stopped all morning.  So, yesterday was my one day out.

19 hours ago, mikechell said:

Well ... I DID find a creek that was down and clear enough to fish.  Two, actually.  Unfortunately, my batteries kept dying, so I didn't get the largest fish (a Fallfish about 12 inches long) on the video.  Caught about 30 fish, all small ones like those in the video.  Hopefully, it was the charger's fault, and I'll have more, and better, fish on the video tomorrow.

Nice job, Mikey. Were those long ears? Had a nice variety.

6 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

HOT it is! I was on the water from 6-1 yesterday, and that was all I could take. That’s saying a lot coming from me. But when the breeze died midday, and the scattered clouds were all around except straight up. That’s when it started cooking. ☀️☄️

I tossed the 8wt most of the morning as I am still chasing the elusive snook on fly. Landed a few small bass and several cichlids. Missed my chance once again at a snook. This time the fish  hit the fly as I was resting my arms, looking away . It was a few feet from the boat and by the time I was able to grab the line and come tight, it was gone. The frey on the 30# leader from a snooks razor blade gill plate confirmed the culprit. 

Eventually the 3wt. went to work. I caught a handful of big gills and twice as many cichlids and small bream. I finally quit when every thing in the boat was too 🔥 to touch. Even the vinyl seats would scorch through cargo shorts. 

Nice.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Were those long ears?

Actually ... I believe they are Green Sunfish.  Big mouths separate them from the Redbreast and Longear varieties.  Since there are "local" variations, they might be Redbreast.  I'm pretty sure they aren't Longears,  since those more closely resemble Pumpkinseeds in side coloration.  I didn't put a name for them on the video ... since I wasn't 100% on identification.

51 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Actually ... I believe they are Green Sunfish.  Big mouths separate them from the Redbreast and Longear varieties.  Since there are "local" variations, they might be Redbreast.  I'm pretty sure they aren't Longears,  since those more closely resemble Pumpkinseeds in side coloration.  I didn't put a name for them on the video ... since I wasn't 100% on identification.

Yeah, they went by so fast, I couldn't tell either.

😄  Do I need to hold my fish in front of the camera longer?  I thought I did a good job on the second or third one, when I took my hat off and got a good centered shot.  Or are you talking about the leaping-fish-on-the-hook-set parts?  They sure were pretty fish in that creek.  Learning to fly, some of them, too!

Nice video Mike, those looked like some great little streams. I thought some of those sunfish (third one caught I think along with some others) looked like redbreast but it is hard to be sure. Half the fun with sunfish (for me) is identification, especially with the crazy hybrids. Was the water really tannin-stained on the first stream, or was that just mud from the rain?

Also, wow that is a big bluegill Caloosa! Interesting colors on the head.

Even the fish needed a breather in the warm morning sun after a short tussle.  90 degree days need to go away.

9D3FCF9A-ED5C-4728-B9D5-02A6D394B3DA.jpeg

8 hours ago, Justin H said:

Nice video Mike     Thank you

I thought some of those sunfish (third one caught I think along with some others) looked like redbreast but it is hard to be sure. Half the fun with sunfish (for me) is identification, especially with the crazy hybrids.    I thought, "Redbreast" too.  But they had the large mouth of Greens.  They all seemed to be the same species, so I doubted hybrid ... but it's always possible.

Was the water really tannin-stained on the first stream, or was that just mud from the rain?  The water is tannin stained, and a little muddy.