Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Crappy weather meant excellent fishing with the river all to myself. 

The Browns, Rainbows, Brookies, and one Salmon were all hungry and feeding on the surface.  A few of the highlights:

All taken on a Snowshoe Emerger

And something I rarely do, a couple for the grill

Very nice.

I had quite the adventure today. To start off the story I will start with yesterday, 5/28/21. I finally got a chance to fix up my favorite, and my only method of transportation I own other than my feet. I fixed my bike. After taking it for a 2 mile ride, then a 4 mile ride just because, I decided it was worthy of going to the clearwater river, which is about 6 1/2 miles. The next day (today, on 5/29/21) I committed to my decision. I embarked on the 6 1/2 mile journey and I made it to the river. I started out with a spinning rod with a wiggle tail on a jig head. I fished for around 50 minutes and these two fly fishermen start fishing near me (I honestly don't care if people do that) and they caught a grayling in the first 3 minutes. So, I decided to eat my MRE lunch (for some reason I like them) and rig up my my fly rod. I decided to do just that but for some reason I didn't catch anything. I had forgot my waders, which is a fatal mistake. But I didn't really care, because i am a freaking savage lol. I have my best luck on the other side of the river, but there is no bridge, so you have to wade. I decided to wet wade. Smart right? Mark Knapp has been to clearwater and he's probably cringing so hard right now. That river is spring fed, so that means it's going to be REALLY cold. And I mean ice cold. But I do dumb stuff like this all the time. So I crossed the river. There was a couple people fishing on the bank that I passed that saw I didn't have any waders, and they gave my the funniest look when they saw me on the other side. It was faster than usual, so the only fish I could catch were in my eddy. If you don't know what I am talking about, when you stand in a river you will make an eddy and at least in this river the fish will all get in your eddy to escape the current. You can literally drop your fly right next to you and catch one. Okay, I'll shut up. Here are the fish I caught.

First one of the day. Trophy fish, around 18.5 -19 inches.

bigboi.thumb.png.6d5a98c2cc085e3fb9c4630b33bc9fb7.png

A couple more I caught:

bigboi2.thumb.png.392ac5c3974c3f29a48e5114575ece23.png

bigboi3.thumb.png.7a60cf97f56aab25c48a037c2dd97d98.png

bigboi4.thumb.png.e962a1a94cc08d87146de78fa4506c56.png

I wish I could keep one.

I got back to the opposite bank and walked back to my bike. And rode another 6.5 miles home. And a part of my route involves me going on an ATV trail. It's pretty wet here in Alaska, as per usual in Spring. And dirt + water=mud.  It's pretty apparent that's the case when you take a look at my bike.

ladiesifyouwantamudonthetiresguywelllooknofurther.thumb.png.c315d098f5907e96fdc45ee33b0549e5.png

And yes, I named the file "ladiesifyouwantamudonthetiresguywelllooknofurther" 

And if you look at my left pant leg you will see what happens to pant legs when they get caught in bike parts.

Pretty good day, the grayling fought good on my new 5/6 wt. I might post a short video of this trip on my channel, but probably not.

Have a nice day!

6 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

18.5-19 Feet? That is a MONSTER Grayling. You will be in the Guinness Book!

All kidding aside, looks like fun was had!

Fun was had and the grayling due to my skills in telling fish stories was about 18.5-19 feet. 

6 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice Grayling, good report 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Those are some real nice looking grayling.

Thank you. I actually accidentally snagged an 18 incher he took off. I thought he was a 30 incher until I saw him go belly up when I pulled up. The hook popped out shortly after. 

1927398828_Screenshot2021-06-04145726.thumb.png.e27ea4cb0520712f987655ac05830919.png

I tried a small swimbait, not even a nibble. I tried a spoon for at least 45 minutes and only one hit. Tied on this mini jerkbait, and I got one first cast with it. I caught 2 others but didn't get a picture

2 minutes ago, niveker said:

Nice!

thank you!