Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

17 minutes ago, niveker said:

Nice fish.  

I didn't mean to imply there aren't any, just that I don't believe I've caught any of them.  I'm not sure the minimum size of stockies, I meant to ask last night at my fly tying meeting, but forgot.  They way the DFW states it is: 

'More than 75% of the trout will be over 12 inches.' 

If you find out please post.   I've been told over the years by many individuals that the state doesn't stock juvenile fish, but it occured to me that I don't know that as fact.  I catch a lot of the the little guys and all year long which is one reason why I believe they are wild.  But the state web site doesn't list minimum sizes so who knows?

I found some really nice water on Saturday morning here in central Massachusetts.  I took a chance and decided to try a pull off I was told about years ago but hadn't gotten around to exploring.  It paid off.  This river holds a lot of small wild browns/Brooks and there are some nice Rainbows courtesy of the state.  As a bonus it's not very heavily fished other than in the spring after stocking.  I also caught a 14" pickerel on a Golden Ace (Davie McPhail version) in a still water pool,  A nice way to spend a few hours in the crisp morning air.

IMG_0414.thumb.JPG.77d9f30bd68acd33f80a0f49518ba15c.JPG

IMG_0428.thumb.JPG.109e32e3ebae4867ca63da472cfa6647.JPG

I got this nice little brown on a #14 Black Zulu-

IMG_E0427.thumb.JPG.405dee84b2193e9ea45e8da658fe4b27.JPG

This rainbow grabbed a #10 green Wooley Bugger.  I had a second one the same size on but sometimes you pay a price for fishing barbless.

IMG_E0438.thumb.JPG.e20d754786fc680884427a24c6577417.JPG

On 9/18/2021 at 8:59 PM, mikechell said:

Steve ... I love the "Night King" rod !!!

Been so busy I'm just now getting caught up reading some of the reports from the past couple weeks you guys have all posted. Glad you like that one Mike. Looks like you got some nice gills on it.

Here are a couple of stocked bows from Friday.  I'll take credit for the first one, caught on a PTN variant in 9' of water under an indicator.  Not my favorite technique but necessary given the pool.  The second one was pure luck.  I was reeling in a green Irish Mayfly to swap it out when the fish hit it and It even hooked itself in the process.  I don't know if it was just really angry with its self for being stupid but the second one fought twice as hard as the first despite being a little smaller.

IMG_0643.thumb.JPG.7cf318c3119302138d63fb2d63efbb64.JPG

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.3f60a9704b07f5c549c10f2a02613fcd.JPG

Not enough time to suit up for the river, but just enough time to hit the lake yesterday evening, turned out to be a pretty Crappie experience. 

Just a few of many, all going for a white and yellow bead-chain clouser, drifted deep.  Pardon the filthy hands, I was replacing a brake line yesterday and daylight was quickly waning. 

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Pardon the filthy hands, I was replacing a brake line yesterday and daylight was quickly waning. 

Nice looking group of crappie!  Yesterday I had exactly 2 hours between completing some house maintenance and friends arriving.  (My wife's invitation, I would have pushed them back closer to twilight but anyway)  No time to spare driving, hiking or suiting up. Just get to a close spot quick and fish.  I'm glad I didn't let 2 hours of beautiful autumn weekend time pass by because just like that it's @#$% Monday. 😆

Thanks @DFoster, nice couple of trouts you got there. 

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Just get to a close spot quick and fish.

Yes, I'm lucky to have a lake within 2 stone throws from my home, full of eager and willing panfish, just the ticket when I can't make it to a trout stream.   

Nice sized crappies. I hardly ever keep a fish these days, but crappie are one that I have to think twice about releasing, they are imo one of the best tasting fish out there :)

35 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

crappie are one that I have to think twice about releasing,

I feel the same way, Steve but I was catching so many, I think if I can make it back there one evening near the end of the week, I just may take a couple of three home.  

Used the canoe, to try a lake I didn't even know about until last week.  I didn't find anything big, but it was a fun morning.