Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Yesterday I had a little time between work in the morning and my nephew's wedding in the afternoon, lots of dinks, one decent brook trout.  My crappy camera doesn't do justice the the reddish hue on this guy's belly.  I don't usually fish this section of the stream, a very few deep holes.  Sulfurs really started popping off just as I had to leave for the wedding.  

IMG20230520133254.jpg

IMG20230520134302.jpg

On 5/21/2023 at 12:54 AM, denduke said:

We callem Redbellies but they’re actually Longeared Sunfish…  Although they can show up anywhere they are more prevalent in creeks/moving water than regular bream around here.   Most state lake’s bream are Coppernose but the Shell Crackers(Redear Sunfish) get bigger than most other bream.

Really nice looking sunfish-  I

On 5/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, SilverCreek said:

12 inch brookies are ultra rare in my local streams as well. They get harvested for the frying pan.

They are rare here as well.  

Capture.JPG

On 5/21/2023 at 7:26 AM, niveker said:

Yesterday I had a little time between work in the morning and my nephew's wedding in the afternoon, lots of dinks, one decent brook trout.  My crappy camera doesn't do justice the the reddish hue on this guy's belly.  I don't usually fish this section of the stream, a very few deep holes.  Sulfurs really started popping off just as I had to leave for the wedding.  

IMG20230520133254.jpg

IMG20230520134302.jpg

Beautiful fish and water.  On Saturday morning I tried a new location which the state say's is a cold water fishery.  In 2 hours of fishing I caught a lot of fall fish but no brookies.  It was a fair amount of work to get into this location, there are no real pathways.   It's nice water though and it's under a thick tree canopy.

Capture.thumb.JPG.6524b185345b33bcec20003b4b9db13a.JPG

After the heavy rains on Saturday afternoon the local river which got it's 2nd stocking, this time with browns was flowing nice.  

ss.thumb.JPG.1743d11963c7196db064515b48716e44.JPG

40 minutes ago, DFoster said:

In 2 hours of fishing I caught a lot of fall fish but no brookies.  It was a fair amount of work to get into this location, there are no real pathways.

Nice, DF.  I enjoy that type of fishing, but it can be challenging.  The fish are easily spooked and scatter at the first sign of anything out of the ordinary.    

4 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice, DF.  I enjoy that type of fishing, but it can be challenging.  The fish are easily spooked and scatter at the first sign of anything out of the ordinary.    

Small streams for wild trout is my favorite way to fish.   Spooky natives are indeed a challenge and you got to bring your "A" game when it comes to casting.  Close range fishing means stealth.  I love the traction from steel cleats  but I hate the noise they make on freestone streams.  Felt works great for stealth but doesn't work well on dry ground.  I've fallen to many times while climbing down the really steep grades that surround my spots and I figure it's only a matter of time before I break a bone or a rod.  So it's cleats for now.

Rainbow caught on a #16 Baetis flashback nymph.

503852736_FRENCHRIVER5-24-23.thumb.JPG.4501afea5af927a834acf85c3fd5b34a.JPG

843348315_BROWNFLASHBACKNYMPH.PNG.4b8210ccdbb7e488b8a5c0dc7c57398a.PNG

Brown caught on a size 10 black Woolly Bugger

1013038214_FRENCHRIVER5-24-23(1).thumb.JPG.501be86a39625cdc774cb2223dbf1135.JPG

On 5/20/2023 at 8:54 PM, denduke said:

We callem Redbellies but they’re actually Longeared Sunfish…  Although they can show up anywhere they are more prevalent in creeks/moving water than regular bream around here.   Most state lake’s bream are Coppernose but the Shell Crackers(Redear Sunfish) get bigger than most other bream.

Very nice.

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Rainbow caught on a #16 Baetis flashback nymph.

Brown caught on a size 10 black Woolly Bugger

You are a fortunate dude Mr. Foster, to have such pretty water and fish to catch.

18 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

You are a fortunate dude Mr. Foster, to have such pretty water and fish to catch.

That's quite a statement coming from a guy who lives in a state with views that will take your breath away!  I thank the Almighty every day Mark. 

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

That's quite a statement coming from a guy who lives in a state with views that will take your breath away!  I thank the Almighty every day Mark. 

I know I'm a lucky dude, and you are too.

Wicked busy here lately, but was able to spend some time yesterday on the water with my brother.  It was a heck of a day for hatches, small black caddis, small yellow stones, mayflies from #18's to #12's.  Alas, virtually no surface activity.    Lots of tippet wasted trying to figure out what was on the menu - I sat down to change flies and there were dozens of these small black caddis on my pant's leg, some in the process of hatching.  Seems all they wanted was small, dark soft hackles.  Funny, with all the bigger bugs out and about.  

IMG20230529093701.jpg

IMG20230529132243b.jpg

IMG20230529132728a.jpg

IMG20230529134529.jpg