Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

A little over 7lbs. She beat my all time record and was trying harder to get a tan than to pull in a lunker. As I'm working the weed lines about 10 feet away, I hear her say "got one", then she says "oh it got off". I look behind me and I could see her line running like Jaws and I tell her to brace herself. It nearly yanked her pole out of her hands, let alone pull her off the kayak! 20lb braided line with gamakatsu circle hook was her best friend, but almost her worst enemy. Great day.

post-55511-0-78151000-1430449425_thumb.jpg

That's a beauty, for sure.

The fish is nice, too. Now you have to keep her, at least until you get a bigger bass.

Friend of mine was in Lapland last summer with his wife! His largest grayling from float tube 58cm! His wife's 57cm! Wasn't he lucky!!!? :-)

Got out for a while yesterday. After the mild cold front Friday night, I wasn't expecting much.
But I was pleasantly surprised as the Redbreast ...
3001d1430677711-post-fish-you-have-caugh

And Coppernosed Bluegill were very hungry.
3002d1430677712-post-fish-you-have-caugh

I caught over a dozen of each of those, several Spotted Sunfish and a handful of small LM Bass.

Today was way too windy, so we are going to watch "Age of Ultron" this afternoon.

Have you been keeping up with the franchise Mike? This one does same as iron man 2 and tried throwing in too many characters and too many locations to really make it great. The two Thor films aren't bad though.

Are these sunfish & blugill always so small Mike? Just asking, not making fun cos' anything in numbers is always good!

The red breasted get a little bigger but not much. The copperhead(nosed) blue gill aka sunfish/bream/breem etc get a little bigger as well, though the record fish is a lot bigger. The copperhead in the picture is getting to the size that will give you a run for your money on light gear. That one is nothing to be ashamed of (not that you were implying otherwise), nice fish actually. Lots of fun on a 4wt or less. Pound for pound they are very strong, just look at the body shape. They resemble permit more that trout and when they turn sideways you know it. If they grew to be 10lbs you could not stop them with anything less stout than an 8 wt maybe not even with that. They can be caught on anything on a given day or get as picky as any trophy trout from a blue ribbon stream. Most of all they are just fun and they have the ability to make grown men giggle like little kids with delight. For many people they are the first fish they ever caught on a basic rod or cane pole with a worms under a bobber and they bring back happy memories. I'd be willing to bet there are a number of members here that remember going out with grandpa or dad on their first fishing trip to catch a mess of bream.

The boards on my front deck are 6 inches wide. The Redbreast, as Swamp fly says, is a pretty good fish, at about 7 1/2 inches. The record is 12 inches. Most of those I catch are in this size range.

This excerpt is from the American Sportfish Hatchery site. "The coppernose bluegill is a subspecies of the common bluegill. It is not a hybrid. Native to Florida and southeast Georgia, it has a range similar to that of the Florida largemouth bass."

This one went almost a pound, and I've caught a few that were near 2 pounds. Also, as Swamp said, the fight will surprise you ... you swear you have a larger fish at first.

Thanx guys! Just wanted to know, never seen or heard about those fish before! Maybe our equvilant is the redfin pearch? Cranky little fish, fun to catch on a 3wt if things get booring, but they never get so big here cos' people love to eat them & Finland has a massive fishing net & fish trap coulture! Read about 2kg redfin in rivers in Australia? They would be awsome! Vision also makes a brown t-shirt with yellow text that is great, but i probably can't say on this forum! Also about 8yrs ago was a big story on the news about two dolfins seen in the arcapelago here, both swiming on tv, never seen here before in so many years! Next or second day was a bigger story in the newspaper! Both dolpfins found dead in some guys fishing nets! True story & google if you want! About 8 years ago in Parainen, next to Turku!

As much as I love seafood, I'd give it all up if it would stop commercial netting, trawling and trapping. Too many people in this world, and keeping them all fed is causing real damage to the eco-systems.

We have perch here, too, pretty much the same as yours. They are part of a different family than the Sunfish.

The Sunfish family is extensive, with more than a dozen distinct species and a fair number of hybrids. Some of the species rarely get over 1/2 pound or 6 inches long. Some, like the Red-ear, can get over 4 pounds. All of them are tough little fighters, the only real difference is how long they fight before giving up.

In good water, it's possible to catch four or five different species within a few feet of each other. For someone like me, fishing and catching are more fun than the long fights. I don't want to fight a fish for 5 or 10 minutes ... too much like work.

Give me a 30 second fight and let me get back to fishing. Sunfish are a perfect target, and I have a blast.

It's not commercial netting here, just every damn idiot thinks it's a birth right! Harder laws always come for the idiot up the river with a fly rod! Floating lines, this size hook, don't do this, don't do that! But they only get told to put a bigger flag! Woppie! Oh! Hope this dosn't start something bad & have this thread locked! Sorry!

Yeah ... this is "fish pictures" thread.

We can take this to a new thread if you want to start one.