Fly Tying
Toirtis

Vise Pics, please!

Thanks! I harvested the walnut stump for the base about 50 years ago. It has many coats of Tru-Oil gun stock finish and by far took the most time to complete. The jaws were designed with free online CAD software. The CAD file was then downloaded to company in New York that printed the file in stainless steel for a fraction of what it would have cost to be machined. The turnaround time was about two weeks. The antler was from a dinky buck I bow killed years ago.

Mine is a cheapo vise that came with one of the outfits offered by the big box stores. Around $35 for the vise, tools, and a bunch of feathers and hair. Haven't seen the need for a $200 vise. Mine does what it needs to do. I only tie a few select flies that are used for this area.

Edit: I recall an episode of Flip Palott's Walker's Cay Chronicles where they were fishing out West rather than the Bahamas. Lee Wulff tied a fly without a vise! Yep! Tied a fly completely by hand! He said he tied flies for two years before he knew vises existed.

I have other vices but I don't display them for the public. tongue.png

Skeet ... what good is a vice if you don't take it out and play with it once in a while???

It's not that uncommon, tying without a vise. I've never done it, have no desire to try it, nor do I see anything to appreciate in the ability to do it.

But then, I am not a trout angler and I've never needed to tie an exact match for some stream-side hatch.

I saw a video of Lee Wulff tying a fly without a vise. He caught a lot of fish on the in-hand flies. The one I saw him tie was big and kinda bushy. Can't argue with success, but I was struck by how long it took him to tie the fly....not REAL long, but I feel he could have done it quicker with a vise. Except he didn't like vises and preferred to tie flies in-hand.

Wulff was the first one to use deer hair in flies. Deer tails, that is. I've seen Bob Jacklin tie a Wulff-style fly in a vise and he commented on Wulff's use of hair. There is also a video out there of a guy tying a salmon fly in-hand. A good looking fly but it took him 10 minutes and the video was mostly at 3x speed...real time would have been more like 30 or 40 minutes. I like vises and have a lot more than I need, and I tried tying a streamer in-hand, which reinforced my view that for my tying, a vise is necessary.

Wulff tragically died when the plane he was piloting crashed. He was like 92 years old. Quite a sportsman.

I saw a video of Lee Wulff tying a fly without a vise.

Years ago I happened to attend a fly fishing show where a rather old woman was sitting there tying flies using a small needle nose vise grip to hold the hook in her one hand while she managed her materials and bobbin with the other. It was a real treat and amazing to see her use both hands simultaneously to tie size 18 BWO's among other very intricate flies that turned out beautifully.

I took the vise grip idea a bit farther. Welded it to an old post/stand from a broken vise that wasn't up to the task of tying big flies and buck tail jigs. The base is a heavy piece of exotic purple amaranth or purple heart.

I know you guys are drooling over this true collectors item.

I've since switched to a Renzetti to conserve this beauty and very seriously considered donating it to the Smithsonian.

post-44758-0-81706200-1456332632_thumb.jpg

Pink Floyd ... "The Wall" ... "Nobody Home"

"I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains "

Just change "a grand piano" to "Salty's vise grip vise" and THEN it'll be useful again.

Actually, if I had a welder, I might copy that for those extra large Bluegill flies.

Go to www.legendaryflies.com Click on Jack Boehme then scroll down about three pages and you will see a 1950 era vise that Jack used. It was made by J F Goldsby Patented Oct 20, 1953 .Patent 2,655,826. I don't think that hardly any of these were made.

Don