Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Good habits to get into

Remove all fly fishing manufactures decals from your vehicle. Your asking for trouble. Some thieves are not as dumb as you think and know exactly what to go after.

Carry that 4 piece rod in its rod tube when bushwhacking and your chance of losing or breaking a piece is greatly diminished.

Have a set of dry clothes. You wont be sorry.

Use a waterproof camera, not your expensive DSLR. You can bring both but only use the waterproof one near water. Today’s newer point & shoots take excellent photos

Don’t forget to pack your waders, boots rods, reels etc. Its disheartening to drive xxx miles and when you get to your destination they are NOT in the car.

Break down your outfit and put it INSIDE the car BEFORE changing out of your boots and waders or driving away to go home. You will be glad you did and so will we.

DO NOT put your rod & reel outfit on top of the car or lean it up against the nearest tree. You are asking for trouble. You will forget where you put it. When you realize its not where it should be and you return to the place where you put, it will be gone!

Pack out what you pack in

I'm diabetic and always carry something sweet just in case.

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Use a wading staff and a wading belt. Either one or both may save your life.

Always wear a Personal Floating Device (PFD) or some kind of inflatable device when on the water. OK, so you think you'll look silly or you are a big macho man who doesn't need one but it beats lying in a casket the rest of your life! Your family will be glad you did.

Put your cigar/cigarette butts in a zip lock baggie in your vest pocket instead of throwing them in the water. Same thing for you mono/leaders etc.

Carry a small garbage bag and do a little stream clean up. It won’t hurt you to pick up some discarded waste. Some of it just may be your own.

Have respect for other people. Yes they may be fishing your sacred spot but so what! Sometimes fishing a new spot reaps great rewards.

Practice good etiquette. If you don't like someone doing something to you, then don't do something to them.

If you are landing them one after another and someone asks you what fly you're using, offer 1-2 flies to them so they can have the same experience. Will it really kill you if you were nice to someone?

Help out a struggling newcomer to the sport of fly fishing. I'm sure somebody helped you out in your endeavor into fly fishing.

If you wear a neck lanyard, make sure it has a breakaway feature. Choking is not fun.

Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle. What you have in it is up to you.

Take a kid fishing.

Keep the adult beverages for the end of the day when its relaxation time.

A good knife just might get you out of a bad situation (I don't mean with people).

If you see a fly that catches your eye at a fly shop, buy 1 for a sample. It will eliminate you posting on forums asking what it was and how to tie it.

If you have other good habits to get into, please add them in a post.

Please do not use the "quote" function to repeat this list over and over again.

Great idea Flytire

Always try to fish with someone

If your not fishing with someone try to tell someone where your going, and what time you expect to be home. Just in case you dont make it home they'll know a general area of where you are and they can call for help in that area.

Another one about etiquette: If someone is rude to you, don't be rude back. Just be the bigger person and walk away.

GREAT pointers folks! Some may say, "That's just common sense", however, common sense ain't always so common... :lol: These would make a good front inside page for a Fly Fishing magazine...or back cover

I agree with lykos. All great tips. Especially like the ones about cleaning up, cigarrett butts, PIPO (pack it in, pack it out). I'm a Leave No Trace Master Educator, and I often tell my instructor students -

"If you're big enough, strong enough, and good looking enough to pack it in, then you're big enough, strong enough, and good looking enough to pack it out." ;)

Thanks for a good common sense post.

I think what is not being taught anymore is the USE of common sense. I had a driving school for a few years, and believe me, you can't teach common sense. It's there, or it isn't.

A couple more -

If you fish alone, carry a whistle.

I am diabetic also, and always have my bloodo-meter with me, or at least in the truck.

If you are on any medication (and what old farts like me aren't) carry a laminated card with your meds and dosages listed. I also wear one of those medical alert dog tags with my particular ailment engraved on it, along with the phone number of my doctor.

I'm with all of the above and particularly the, "let someone know." I do a LOT of solo backpacking in remote areas, so the mantra is, "Don't do anything stupid," as well as leave your plan with someone you trust. Then, (as Colin Fletcher would say) make hell and high water sure you stick to the plan.

John

DO NOT put your rod & reel outfit on top of the car or lean it up against the nearest tree. You are asking for trouble. You will forget where you put it. When you realize its not where it should be and you return to the place where you put, it will be gone!

See your totally wrong on that one. You SHOULD put your rod on top your car, and lean it against a tree, as well as leave the tip sticking out of your window of your car, or you can just lay it down on the ground as you hop around getting your waders off. You SHOULD do all those things......

Of course the fact that I am a full time custom rod builder for a living has nothing to do with me suggesting that :lol: :lol: :lol:

See your totally wrong on that one. You SHOULD put your rod on top your car, and lean it against a tree, as well as leave the tip sticking out of your window of your car, or you can just lay it down on the ground as you hop around getting your waders off. You SHOULD do all those things......

Of course the fact that I am a full time custom rod builder for a living has nothing to do with me suggesting that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Evil...pure and simple evil Steve!!! :lol:

I'm with all of the above and particularly the, "let someone know." I do a LOT of solo backpacking in remote areas, so the mantra is, "Don't do anything stupid," as well as leave your plan with someone you trust. Then, (as Colin Fletcher would say) make hell and high water sure you stick to the plan.

John

I being of a debatable youth was expressing my concern about being alone on the river and with the coyotes liking the taste for us lately. A friend told me how he goes into his woods to manage his trees alone with a purchased phone $50, and a $10 plan. " Turn on and activate your GPS. When you go out make a habit of turning on the phone, that way if anything happens, like getting turned around, your signal will assist search and rescue in finding you ."

I didn't have a cell phone and always thought the rescue beacons from the mountain co-op were a little pricey. When I go out I don't like being pestered by phones. But he was right, I asked a young fellow with search and rescue and he said they wished everyone would do that. So that is what I do. Coyotes or no coyotes. I figured I was worth the initial start up cost and $10 a month.

Got mosquitos? Chew on all natural cinnamon gum - it repels!

Bring water.

Put sunscreen on the backs of your hands and ears, too!

Bandanas are worth their weight in gold. Wear it on your head for a hat, neck for a sun block, arm for a sweat band, turnequette (heaven forbid), etc.

Stay outta the tall grass!

Always look for private property signs.

Look where you step when you get out of the water. (Snakes love chillin' by the water)

Don't touch anything yellow. Wild parsnip is a real bitch and a half.

Look for the birds! Birds eat bugs and so do trout!

Avoid confrontation whenever possible.

Listen more than you talk.

If your state allows it and you have one, carry a gun. (Be reasonable here. Don't strap yourself with an 8" Python)

Swiss Army Knife.

Keep some things private. You don't want your honey hole to be everyone's hole. (Words to live by, right there)

Give more than you take.

Learn to swim. Please.

Take what you need and nothing else. The less you bring, the less you'll have things getting in your way.

Look down every 3 steps when you're walking about.