Fly Tying
Perry Poke

Snook & Redfish Fly Suggestions

Fellow Fly Fisherman,

I'm heading to Sanibel Island Fla and would appreciate any fly patterns that would be effective for Snook, Redfish and Specks,,,, I realize that one fly pattern will not cover all, but would like to hear your favorites are...... I will be there the two weeks in March.

Thank you for any info you are willing to share.

Redfish sliders, Borski shrimp, EP minnows, decievers and clousers should work. Ive never caught a snook or speck OTF, but I can vouch for the sliders, shrimp and EP flies for reds.

1324499525[/url]' post='486725']

Redfish sliders, Borski shrimp, EP minnows, decievers and clousers should work. Ive never caught a snook or speck OTF, but I can vouch for the sliders, shrimp and EP flies for reds.

Thank you for the Borski Shrimp suggestion..... This pattern looks like it has great smallmouth potential with a few tweaks. Of course clousers are classics. Thanks again for the tip.

Perry, get a look at the flies I posted for the "Trip to the Keys" - particularly the Crystal Schminnow for fish feedng on glass minnows (bay anchovies actually) at Sanibel. The fellow that originated that pattern has a fly shop on the island and it's a staple there.

Perry, I've used many types of Bonefish & Redish flies for Smallmouths, and you're right, that slider will work too! When I tied commercially, I had a customer who swore by Gurglers for Snook. Tied them big, on size 3/0 long shank hooks, with white foam, a pearl estaz body, splayed hackle tails, red hackle collar under the foam, and I added big craft eyes to them. I used 6mm thick foam, which I got in a local craft store, but layers of 2mm will also work. They work well on Stripers & bass too!

Perry, get a look at the flies I posted for the "Trip to the Keys" - particularly the Crystal Schminnow for fish feedng on glass minnows (bay anchovies actually) at Sanibel. The fellow that originated that pattern has a fly shop on the island and it's a staple there.

Hi Bob,,,im still learning my way around on this site.... Im having trouble finding you and or your "Trip to the Keys" post.... Thanks for the input...