Fly Tying
Will K

Favorite size Royal Wulff

Just curious what size Royal Wulff you all like best? For whatever reason, it's not a fly I toss much, but for equally unknown reason, my motivation to fish this fly on native brookie streams this spring is high... So I'm going to tie some up. Suggestions on size you would feel best "searching" with for Native Brookies?

size 28 for those mountain trickles! Hahaha just kidding size 12,14,16 is perfect.

D.

Size 8. Not a pattern I fish much, and when I do I like fishing a ridiculous size just to see who might be interested. I'm often very surprised by the results, and also very amused.

In northern Nevada/California these and humpies are my favorite on small streams. From 8 down to a few ugly 26's.

Thanks for the idea's guys! No joke, an old timer in my tying club had a size 32 he'd tied up... when you looked at it through magnifying glasses it was amazingly well done. He actually had it stuck in his hat, and used it as a bit of a bragging rights fly. Amazing to see.

Sounds like 12-16 generally takes the cake, so a few of each is on tap.

I tend to use the size of the natural flies that are hatching so size 14 Royal Wulffs are my favorite where I fish. For the same reason I like Grizzly Wulffs in size 14 when PMDs are hatching.

Wulffs are "upwing" flies and I believe they work best when mayflies are the dominant hatch. Although Wulffs are attractors and not imitative, I think there is some crossover when mayflies with upwings are hatcching vs when say stoneflies with down wings are the predominant hatch.