Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

004/109 Bead Head Prince

Good Morning Everyone!

My fourth fly in my life...I like this one! is easy to tie (...) and the contrast between the color body and the color of the wings is really nice.

Happy New Year! Please, let me know what do you think. 105 flies left..

Oscar

post-36075-0-43576900-1325259453_thumb.jpg

Looking good. The only tip I can give you is when tying a base layer of thread on the hook shank start behind the eye of the hook and work back to mid-shank. Then clip off the tag end (the extra), then continue back to the propper position at the bend. This way you won't have a little piece of extra thread hanging out the back.

Definitely too loose on the wire wraps, although it will fish just fine, it just may not be as durable.

Getting good at biot flies is tough, you did very good with this fly.

Looking good. The only tip I can give you is when tying a base layer of thread on the hook shank start behind the eye of the hook and work back to mid-shank. Then clip off the tag end (the extra), then continue back to the propper position at the bend. This way you won't have a little piece of extra thread hanging out the back.

I got you! Thank you for the advice.Some people use a x-acto knife to cut it, i use my scissors, what do you use?

Definitely too loose on the wire wraps, although it will fish just fine, it just may not be as durable.

Getting good at biot flies is tough, you did very good with this fly.

Hello H Dot Verseman!

Thank for your feedback! I realize that last weekend, because I went fish at the Bow River, AB and it fall apart...

Thank you for take a moment to write me.

Oscar

nice fly! That is way better than my third fly.

Thank you!! I'm learning and learning, i have three months to get 109 flies done...I will share my result here.

the tail area needs a clean up and the rib wraps are too loose

Hello Flytire

I have read that we can use some kind of cleaner...do you know something about? Yes, the ribs are not good enough....I tried at the Bow River last weekend and it fall apart...

Thank you for take some minutes to write me.

Oscar

Loos better than my third fly too. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Hello Flymanaj!

Thanks! is my first time ever tying flies...and actually I don't have any experience with fly fishing, i will be learning in a couple months. I have the passion and the interest to learn. So far, i have 104 flies left to make before the trout season starts.

Thank you for take some minutes of your night to write me.

Oscar

Looks like you are off to good start, you'll come across small problems (like the wire ribs being too loose) and you'll learn from them. My only suggestion is don't switch from fly pattern to fly pattern tye at least a 1/2 dozen of each (prefer 1 dozen of each pattern) that way you will be proficient at each pattern when you finish the dozen. Also learn to tie what you fish for me it was nymphs Pheasant Tails, GR Hare's Ear, Prince Nymphs, Brassies & Zebras, Woolly Buggers, soft hackles. This way you get usable flies that are productive and the skills transfer to other flies as you expand the patterns you like.

[quote name='osedma' timestamp='1325562999'

I got you! Thank you for the advice.Some people use a x-acto knife to cut it, i use my scissors, what do you use?

I agree it saves a lot of time and you learn each pattern easier than tying one at a time. Plus if you lose it you want to be able to reach in your box and get another one. Oh and I only use scissors. I picked up a pair of Dr. Slickery curved scissors I really like for cutting thread and have others for hair and other materials.

I would definitely tie more than just 1 of each... more like 15-20 of each especially if I am just learning a pattern. Come to think of it... I don't even think I know of 104 patterns to tie off the top of my head. Shit, I actually fish only like 12 different patterns.